Cal Hypo and Trichlor, which to add first?

Aug 1, 2010
Europe
I'm filling my pool up with rainwater after some work done to it. The pool at the moment is bare concrete and obviously needs extra calcium and stabiliser to stop calcium being leached from the shell and to protect the bleach I will be using later. As it is quite convenient I intend to use Cal Hypo bars and Tri chlor pucks until the ideal levels are reached (250 CH 80 CYA).
My question is which should I concentrate on first in that it is spring here now and the sun isn't too powerful yet. I won't be swimming for at least a month. Should I start with the Cal hypo while the solar is low? Should I add a few pounds of CaCl to get the CH up quickly or can I wait until the Cal hypo does it on it's own?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

You need some CYA or you will lose all of your chlorine every day. You likewise need some CH or there will be problems. It is much easier to compensate for low CH levels by raising the PH and/or TA, than it is to compensate for low CYA levels. The ideal approach depends on all of your current levels.

So as Jason stated, you should raise your CYA first using Tri-Chlor. Keep an eye on the CSI using the Pool Calculator and adjust the pH to keep the CSI negative. After you get the CYA up then start with the Cal hypo to raise the CH, again keeping an eye on pH and lowering as the CH increases.

As benavidescj said, adding CYA should be your first priority. You can compensate for the low CH level by keeping your PH about 0.3 to 0.4 higher than you would otherwise keep it. Your ideal PH range depends on your TA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.