Popups and caretaker...

Mar 15, 2011
I just bought a house with a pool and have never had one before. It gets very dirty from the trees that are all around and I was told by a resurfacer that the popup valves aren't working becasue it needs a new caretaker (the thing that moves the water from one valve to another) and that since the popups don't really work in a very dirty pool anyway, we should just take them out and not deal with them or the caretaker, which he will fasten to the side jets permanently.

Does this make sense?

Welcome to TFP!

You need to decide if an in-floor system is what you really want or not. They do require some maintenance and thus have some extra costs beyond what you would spend if it was disabled. In very dusty areas many people are very happy with their in-floor cleaning system. Otherwise it is generally best not to have one, because of the extra time/cost they occasionally require.

The "dirty pool" argument doesn't really mean anything. You need to keep the pool clean one way or another, and an in-floor system will reduce the amount of work you need to do to keep it that way. Of course, in-floor systems only really get dirt/debris that makes it to the bottom of the pool. The skimmers should catch everything that stays on the surface.

newpooler said:
Thanks for the response! By dirty I mean, large leaves and large amounts of leaves, sticks etc that cannot go out the pool drain...

If someone went through all the trouble to plumb it in, I coudlnt see disabling it.

They do work really well when set up by a competent installer. Even if they don't get 100% of the debris out they will get a lot of them out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.