Easytouch = confusing programming

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
Someone really needs to write a guide to programming the ET. I have been a computer programmer for 18 years and should have been able to pick it up and go. Not the case, however. It took me about a day to sort out how it is set up, no thanks to the manual. The gotcha was that it seems there are pre-set functions that map to valves.

I had set up landscape lights on aux6. They worked until the tech came in an programmed the system to run the spa spillover on aux6. I could not figure out why the lights did not turn on when I hit spillway until I inferred that the circuit "spillway" mapped to a pre-defined function in the system that maps to "SPA" for valve configuration.

I moved the spillway function to Function 1 and remapped the pump speed to match. Now when I select aux6, my lights turn on. When I select function 1, the spillway is activated and the pump speed adjusts.

I am sure there are other things that I need to learn about the system that the techs here could explain, but this was not very intuitive, even for a programmer.

loweran said:
Someone really needs to write a guide to programming the ET. I have been a computer programmer for 18 years and should have been able to pick it up and go. Not the case, however. It took me about a day to sort out how it is set up, no thanks to the manual. The gotcha was that it seems there are pre-set functions that map to valves.

Afaik, there are no preset functions binding the valves to any of the auxiliaries. This must be set up.

There is a big list of bug fixes in the firmware download package on their site, maybe this was one of them.

Oddly my pentair rep says that the luddite builders like the easy touch better than the intellitouch, so maybe you like me over think the ET programming.

I have an ET box. I agree the manual needs major help. How they define "circuits" is really horrible wording. Like Racket said, everything is programable; nothing is pre-set. Basically, the AUX relays operate whatever is tied into them in the box. You just define the AUX by calling it whatever name you want then program the on/off times. The confusing part is that you can have up to 9 (i think it's 9) programs on one "circuit".
The biggest issue I've had programming it has been getting it to save a program. The genuis engineer who designed it did not put a "save" function in. You basically back out of the menu by hitting the menu button and thats supposed to save the program. Well, it doesnt always. I've found it doesnt like start and stop times on the half hour (go figure). If you set a half hour start time (i.e. 7:30 pm) it has trouble saving it. I've found if you put in whole hour times, save it, then go back and change it will work. Thats just one example i've found of programming snafu's. I like the system, but it does need a rework.

I am sure there is a configuration for the valves, but I don't see it in the interface. I did not look at how they wire into the panel, but I assume they plug into a specific socket and get mapped to the SPA and POOL circuits. From there I assume there is pre-defined logic for certain operations like SPA and SPILLWAY that actuate the valves.

I really think the area that needs clarity in the documentation is how the valves get assigned to circuits and if there are circuit names that are pre-defined to actuate valves (ex: spillway).

Other than that, it would be nice if you could simply define an action and assign relays and valve actions to it rather than they be pinned to the aux circuits. That way you could easily code combination features.

This is a "budget" controller vs the intellitouch, so something had to give... Right???

There are 4 valve sockets on pool/spa combo board.

Intake-Return-valve a- valve b.

There are no pre-determined assignments for spillway, valve a, or valve b.

I agree that the programming leaves something to be desired.

You have to remember, Pentair gears this stuff to professionals. I think they'd rather not have DIYers do the installations.

If you think that Pentairs manual is confusing, you should read one of Chemtrols.

Budget for your clientele maybe. I also feel that Pentair's documentation and programming interfaces leave something to be desired; others on this board have made similar comments too.

Loweran, once you've played around with it enough it will start to make sense. I started a thread about programming a suntouch controller (racket - a suntouch is budget). In that thread Jason outlines the general approach to programmming an easytouch. http://www.troublefreepool.com/sun-touch-controller-t28386.html

racket said:
This is a "budget" controller vs the intellitouch, so something had to give... Right???.

It does what it does. I wouldnt consider the ET "budget". It just works differently than the IT

racket said:
You have to remember, Pentair gears this stuff to professionals. I think they'd rather not have DIYers do the installations.

Not sure I agree with this either. A "professional" is not going to come out everytime you want to change the programming. And, the install has nothing to do with the programming. Morevover, ET boxes are really easy to install, really.

bk406 said:
Not sure I agree with this either. A "professional" is not going to come out everytime you want to change the programming. And, the install has nothing to do with the programming. Morevover, ET boxes are really easy to install, really.

I suppose, I guess I found the way the ET programs to be silly and annoying but not incredibly difficult.

I'm not a big fan of the suntouch. Take their service mode for instance. You have to go to the very last thing to turn off, or on a pump to backwash without possible program interference. They could have added 2-3 more buttons and made a pretty good little controller, instead they created a hunk of Crud.

Other than the programming interface being rudimentary and rigid, my real complaint is the fact that they did not make a good attempt to document what it is. This is not some $39 toy from China with which I have grown to expect poorly written instruction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can't reassign those valves. The only activate on pool/spa (intake return) and spillway (return only) I don't think any controller can unless you can write you own firmware.

Intellitouch I7 +3 programming question. I have 3 actuated 3 way valves:
#1 Intake (pool skimmers) (spa suction) (pump intake)
#2 Returns (pool/waterfall/spa spillway combo) (spa only) (intake)
#3 valve Returns (waterfall) (pool/spa combo) (intake)

My valve actuator plug and play circuit board is wired as follows:
#1 plugged into Intake, #2 plugged into Return, #3 plugged into Valve A (Valve B empty)

I'm having difficulty separating the Spa and Waterfall functions. Can I use the Aux settings or Macros to program the following functions separately: Pool, Spa, Waterfall, Spa spillway? Or do I need to buy the expensive additional valve module for the circuit board to plug in #3 valve to control all three actuators?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.