How to tell if you need more sand?

When I got my sand filter (details in sig) I added the correct amount of sand (I think at least) this year as I was redoing my pump area I noticed the sand looked low, it appears to be apx 1/4 to 1/3 full of sand. Does anybody know how far from the top the sand should be? I'd expect to have maby 10 inches on gap, closer to 2/3 full of sand.

Also I've noticed I am getting some small particles from the return, very small what look to be parts of flowers (maby seeds, less then 1/16th of a inch in size), is this due to low sand, or a cracked lateral? (ive found sand in the bottom of the pool, that's why I checked the return, no sand from that yet though.)

Dale.s said:
Awesome thanks, think I'm gonna drain the sand and check the laterals while I've got it apart.

I would remove all of the sand and replace it with the specified amount that way there is no question wether you have the right, or wrong ammount.

Well laterals looked good, sand was way way low, added a bag and a half I had laying around (gf used half a bag for plants!!). And when I did my first backwash I lost around 10 pound of sand so it was defiantly low! I filled to 10 inches, so I'm guessing it should be 11 or 12 inches on this filter. Thanks for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.