I'm back and about to open my pool

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Hey guys! Long time. Work has me a bit crazy but I finally have the time to dedicate to my pool.

Decide to let it go over the winter, save myself the $50/month I spend on electricity to run the pump. I also went from the little Hayward filter below to picking up my new Pentair CCP420 this week. Still cartridge filter, but substantially more filtration room.

I've got my test kit handy and will start shocking the pool as soon as the filter is in. Yay for the new swim season!

Denis

Welcome back Denis.

Just as a note. You can save yourself some work and some money next year by properly closing and covering your pool. I closed and covered ours this year and when I opened it, it was clear as could be and only had about a dozen leaves from taking the cover off. I didn't run my pump for 4 months.

You're absolutely right about that. The $800 I had saved for a proper winter cover ended up being used to pay our property taxes, so I ended up letting it lapse.

That said, I'm getting my bonus at work in June and I'll buy the cover then, storing it until winter. Hopefully that and proper closing will keep me from going through swamp heck again :D

Denis

257WbyMag said:
Welcome back! You are going to LOVE that CC420. That's all the filter you will ever need.

I figured as much. I looked at the bigger one (520, I believe) and it just wasn't worth the extra $200 to me, based on the flow characteristics being the same. I'm excited to see how fast it filters my swamp now that I've broken the algae.