Help opening my pool

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Hello everyone!

My pool is super green, and I wanted advice on how to open my pool properly. I own the trouble free test kit, have read pool school numerous time, and have visited here before. I know what to do, I just don't know what order to do things in.

**My most important question, is that my pool gets direct sunlight all day. I have no trees or anything else that gives any type of shade to my pool. I've always followed the "recommended levels" in pool school, but I was wondering if I should change a few of the recommendations since my pool is in direct sunlight all day. What do you all think?

Here are my test results so far:

CYA: 25
FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
pH: VERY HOT PINK...I'd say 9.0 (off the charts).
Alk: 80

**I have a liner pool, sand filter, and a 1 1/2 hp pump**

Here is what I was going to do in order:

1. Shock pool to 11 FC using 6% liquid bleach (and I know some of you all maybe against this, but I may use a bit of calcium hypo just to speed up the process, but certainly not any trichlor). Brush walls and floors of pool at least once a day and maintain 11 FC throughout the day.

2. Decrease pH (once my chlorine level falls to about 4 or so) by adding about 36 oz of muriatic acid.

3. Recheck Alkalinity levels and adjust if needed.

4. Increase CYA to about 40 (since it's low).

Would you recommend I follow this order, or do something differently.

Thank you so much for all of your help! :D

Emily

Re: Help my opening my pool

That sounds like a plan. I keep my CYA at 50 in summer and still lose 3.5 to 4 ppm per day in the heat. I bump it up to 8 and it gets right at back down to 4 which is the minimum for that CYA level. So mine eats a gallon of 6% on average hot days. Since you have zero FC at the moment, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and bring that ph down to 7.5 before you start "spiking" your chlorine level.

mrpunchy said:
Do you want your filter running before you do your initial testing?

Now that's what I call a GOOD question! :goodjob:

I've always assumed that the water should be thoroughly mixed before you can trust the tests, but I do not have the chem expertise to say that it's a must :oops:

We'll have to see if the chem gurus have any input on this :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll be honest and say that I don't remember if my pump was running. I know that my timer was on--so it was running for 12 hours on, 12 hours off, but not sure if it was running when I tested the water. I never really knew it needed to be running, but it certainly makes sense that it needs to be! :)

It's been a week since I added the CYA, so I am going to recheck all of my levels today. I think my Ph is going to bit a bit low (7.2)---so I'll have to raise that. I hope everything else checks out perfect though. *Fingers crossed*. :)

*The good news is that the green algae is all gone. Pool is sparkling/clear! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.