Northern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I just had a new EcoStar VSP installed to replace my 1.5HP Jandy Stealth. The timer that was being used to control the old pump and SWG was taken out of the equation. The SWG is now "on" all the time, but not really doing anything unless there is flow (?). This morning, the SWG threw flow errors (172\186) when the pump fired up. I fixed it by increasing the RPMs on the pump. Are there any suggestions or experience with his configuration? Is it bad for the Aquapure? Are there any numbers\suggestions on the lowest RPM setting I can get away with on the pump and not error out the SWG?

(have to update my sig for the new pump, and the removal of the solar panels)

Thanks

The lowest speed you can use with the SWG depends on many details of your plumbing system. You will need to experiment to find out what works well. Remember that the minimum speed will be higher when the filter is dirty.

It is generally preferred to have some additional control on the SWG that prevents it from running when the pump is off, beyond the flow switch that comes with the SWG. Flow switches break sometimes and if yours breaks so that it detects flow when there isn't any there is some chance of an explosion. If you have an automation system it would take care of this for you. Otherwise you could use a current detecting relay.

Could I wire the AquaPure into the old digital timer, and configure the timing to match the pump? Do you have any suggestions for a simple automation system that can interface with the Aquapure and the EcoStar?

Just in case anyone else needs this. I was able to easily wire the Aquapure back into the timer, and sync it with the higher RPM timers in the VS pump. It seems to work pretty well as long as the timers stay in sync. I'll watch it over the next week or so and see if it causes any issues. I the log run, I'll probably end up with a current detecting relay, but this should work until I get there.

I can't thank you enough JasonLion. I had no idea that having the SWG running without flow was dangerous. I knew it was potentially harmfull to the SWG, but even a small chance of an explosion is not good.

My Macromatic relay is controlling both the Simpool pH as well as the IntelliChlor transformer power on-off, thus anytime power on the IntelliFlow VF is below 165 to 170 watts, the relay cuts power as the pump is running below 20 GPM or has turned off one of it's scheduled cycle runs.

It is really simple to install and costs under 90

Using an existing timer and using a Macromatic relay are both good solutions. If you do go with the timer, you need to remember to check every couple of months that the timer clock and the pump clock stay in sync.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.