Add sand to filter?

Starting to think about opening the pool soon!!! Trying to get my list together of everything I need. This is only going to be my 2nd season opening a pool.

Last year we had to putty the drain plug onto the filter bc the threads would not catch and we lost a little bit of sand. Then when we pulled the plug out to close in the fall we lost quite a bit more. This looks like it will probably happen every year until we buy a new filter.

Last year the pressure gauge stayed between 29 and 31 psi.
The sticker says "Max working pressure psi = 50"
The sticker also says 225lbs of #20 silica sand required

Do I need more sand in my filter?

If I do, do I really need to take the top off of it or can I just add the sand to the skimmer?

Also, If anyone could tell me what my psi is supposed to be??? From what I have read this seems high but I didn't have any problems last year except the plug flying off when the pump was turned on.

Attachments

• 120.JPG
    120.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 106
It looks like you need some sand to replace what you've lost. You really do have to take the top off and add it that way. You're gonna have to take it off to measure the freeboard so you'll know how much sand you need to add any way. The Tagelus TA-50 should have 9¼" of freeboard above the sand.

Thanks for the advise. If we need to take the top off to put in more sand looks like we will clean and inspect the filter through out and replace all of the sand, which isn't such a bad idea anyway, not exactly sure how old the sand is and how much spilled out on the previous owners. Also with the sand out we should be able to fix the drain hole better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.