liner split all around the bottom of the liner

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
Put on your think'n caps, my trusty pool friends!

Well, it's almost spring here and I'm baaaaack! We bought a new liner in May of last year ($500). My husband was out of town so I had it professionally installed by a private pool installer ($500). Then we had water hauled in ($500), poured in the bleach (well you know the $ amount) and started swimming immediately. We enjoyed the water level for exactly ONE day :( After weeks of going back and forth with the installer, my husband inspected and found out the liner was defective and had a large hole at the seam. The pool place told us to exchange it immediately , but wouldn't help us with anything else :grrrr: . We argued that we didn't want to waste the time and chemicals and wanted to continue to swim for the summer. They gave us a patch kit and told us to get it exchanged before this May.

We did the regular closing but decided not to put a cover on because debris would not be a problem. The water froze like usual. A couple weeks ago, I noticed the ice had broken in the center of the pool and there was no water beneath it. Now most of the ice is melted and there is only about 1" of water left in it. When we looked at it today, we noticed a series of 7" horizontal 'slices' about 3" from the bottom of the liner. These fractures are NOT on the seam and they are not ridged 'tears'. These 'slices' go almost the circumference of the pool.

We are wondering if during melting, the ice fell onto an empty liner and cut the liner. Can ice be so sharp that it would cut a good liner? Can a liner split just from getting too cold? Is this possibly not a good liner because it couldn't withstand pressure or cold?

Has anyone else experienced this? Was this just a fluke? We are concerned with using the same brand of liner again. We did have an exceptionally cold winter with more snow than usual. We are fearful of getting a new liner from the same manufacturer. Any insight or suggestions?

Welcome back Theresa. Bummer about the liner. While the ice could have cut the liner I suspect you got a bad liner. The good news is that you have already documented the split in the seam and that should cover the replacement of the liner.

Since they should give you a new liner, I'd go ahead and take it. I'd also contact the mfg of the liner and ask if there's anything they can do to help with the installation since it was installed such a short time. They probably won't but it never hurts to ask.

Don't be afraid to tackle the new liner install yourself. Several people have installed their own and not had a problem.

well, we may have figured out what went wrong. My husband thinks maybe the ice (which was very heavy) fell down when it started to melt. Subsequently, since it had no water to keep it buoyant, about six inches from the bottom, it pushed the walls out and caused the bottom of the walls to curve inward. This curve inward was sharp and perforated the liner all the way around the bottom of the liner. We are sad and very upset about this. Is our pool junk now? Is it possible to 'unbend' it?

Here is a picture of the bottom of the wall. Hopefully you can see where it came out of the track and is cupped inward. Anyone else ever experience this or know what to do about it?

Attachments

• pool  bottom.JPG
    pool bottom.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 212
It's hard to tell just how bad it is but you might be able to fix it. If you have a flat floor like a garage or carport you can take the wall down and lay it out flat and take a 2" x 12" about 5' long and slowly walk the curl out of it. Don't try to get it all out at once. Straighten a little all the way along the wall then come back and do it again. OR, if you know someone with a sheet metal shop that has a roller wide enough to accept the wall height they might be able to straignten it for you. They'd do a better job and it wouldn't take nearly as long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.