On start up, Bubbles then a Green Cloud..

Brocky

Sep 15, 2007
NY
When we moved here and inherited an inground pool with a Nautilus DE filter that has been working ‘well’ last three seasons i.e. water is clear.

I installed solar panels so spliced into the return and diverted water up on roof through panels and back into pool, which works great.

However, on start up I began to get a few bubbles from one of the return lines I wasn’t sure if this was a problem asked around and got blank stares…

Now I notice on normal start up (not just after cleaning and recharging the DE) the return line bubbles like a Jacuzzi for a minute or so then sends a plume of green (DE?) into the pool before calming down and acting normally i.e. clear water being returned. I have two other returns and one also does this but to a lesser extent the other just seems to return clear water.

Im thinking this is a major overhaul for the filter replace 'fins' new seal etc or is this a bigger problem.

The pool is scheduled to close next week so i've got a couple of days to try any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP!

If this only happens when the solar panels are on I think I know what is happening. It is fairly common for solar panels to cause some air bubbles for a minute at startup as the lines fill with water. The green could be algae growing in the panels. DE is white, so it isn't DE. This suggests that the vacuum relief valve is not working quite right, as algae would require some water staying in the panels when they are off.

Hey Thanks but the solars are disconnected, should have added that small but important detail..
Air could still be getting in from the solar return its capped but i don't know if its airtight.
The green plume looks like the stuff you get in backwash hence the (DE?)

When did you do a full backwash last? (by full, I mean backwash/ rinse, backwash/ rinse..... until the water comes out clear on backwash)

It's possible that the cloud is DE that has some algae embedded in it - if you backwash and add fresh DE (80% of the recommended amt) you can see if the cloud becomes a white one, if so it's DE :eek: . If it is DE you most probably have a small crack in the filter's manifold or a small hole in one of the grids or a missing o-ring which allows a little DE to get through on start-up then seals as the DE 'clogs' it.

Thanks!
Trouble is I had it on the timer so i'm not always there when it starts up. But I think that's the problem with the green cloud as the grids are getting old. When I close I will take them out and have thorough inspection.

Any thoughts on the air in the return lines, again i'm looking at the filter, the 'O' ring has seen better days. But I don't see any leaks if air can get in would water not get out??

Brocky,

"green" almost 98% of the time means you have algae in your sytem. Tracking exactly where it's coming from may prove troublesome but it's underlying cause is lack of chlorination. Eliminating the algae thru chlorination and keeping constant chlorine at appropriate levels in the pool is the only way to keep it from returning.

Thanks I think we had already established that the algae is coming back in from the filter

Kinda working on the bubble question, where/how is the air getting in.
any thoughts?

PS what is it the other 2%?

Brocky, sorry for not saying "Welcome to TFP" in my previous post, but I really mean it :-D

If I may be so bold as to speak for Dave, the other 2% are bizzarro situations wherein something really weird is happening with the water/ chemistry - insufficient chlorine is most often the culprit (in the 2% low chlorine usually plays a part, but something 'funky' is also going on - fear not, after a couple days of asking ?s and receiving the answers, we can get to the root of the problem)

Air can only enter the system on the influent side, if you have air in the system, it will show up in the pump (be visible in the pump housing. Often it's as simple as a bad gasket on the pump lid, other times there is a small air leak in one of the valves or connections leading into the pump. OR the most obvious, not enough water in the pool and the skimmer(s) suck air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.