Pool Re-do

mcgeggy

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
I am getting ready to replace the 24' round pool that came with the house we bought in 2002. The pool has to be 20 years old by now and the liner was in bad shape, but we ended up buying a whole new pool (same size but 52" deep instead of 48"). Going to try the DIY route... So I have a few questions!

-Do I need to do anything to the existing sand base that is already there? I do plan on removing a root that I can feel growing under the liner...

-I was going to buy the cove sections and a liner pad. The pool store recommended Gorilla Pad (which they do not sell), but I found another brand cheaper online which seems to be decent also: Liner Shield. Any reason to go with one over the other?

-My wife has always complained that the pool is too cold early and late season. Does the wall foam really help hold in the heat? Does it make it more susceptible to a puncture?

Any other issues I should be aware of doing a "replacement" install?

Great site and thanks for any feedback or advice!

You don't need to do very much to the sand. You could treat it with a herbicide and you definitely want to do some re-leveling, hopefully minor. Unless you spot a problem that is about it.

The wall foam does insulate a little, but it doesn't make very much of a difference to the water temperature. Nearly all the heat loss is through evaporation.

I'm not familiar with Liner Shield. I can't see puncture risk as being enough of a problem to justify the product. On the other hand, having it all be one piece would be convenient.

Hey fellow tri-state'er :lol: Welcome to TFP!

If you have room next to the pool or a nearby roof w southern exposure, for a solar panel or two, it can make the world of difference in water temp. :goodjob:

I guess I'll go with the Liner Shield - it's thicker than the Gorilla (1/3" compared to 1/8").

I'll look into the solar panel thing, but I'm thinking a solar cover with reel might be cheaper and more effective into late summer...

mcgeggy said:
I guess I'll go with the Liner Shield - it's thicker than the Gorilla (1/3" compared to 1/8").

I'll look into the solar panel thing, but I'm thinking a solar cover with reel might be cheaper and more effective into late summer...

I'm looking at purchasing the Liner Shield and wanted to know if you were happy with the product. Thanks.

We just replaced our 12 year old 18' round AGP with a new one. I got the Liner Shield and cove from Pool Supply World online. The two together from there was a great deal cheaper than anywhere else. When we got the package, the Liner Shield was actually labeled as Liner Armor.

I never had a liner pad before so I don't have any point of comparison except liner directly on sand. One thing I wish I did before the day of installation is to unfold the pad out on the ground to get some of the creases out prior to installation. You can see some of them through the liner now that it's installed but it's not too bad. Certainly better than the caved-in mole tunnels and root veins we had under the old liner. I overheard one of the guys that was here to install our pool telling the other guy that you couldn't stab through the stuff with a knife. I hope that's true--our last liner was ruined by a dog digging under the pool.

As far as the sand... they didn't do anything but pull out some roots that had grown under the old one and rake it. They didn't even tamp it down according to my husband. (I had to run into town to fetch a part while the majority of the installation was going on... I would have made them tamp it if I had been there, but oh well.) Fortunately, our new pool had the same number and spacing of the posts as the old one so all the existing blocks were already in place and level and there was not that much disruption of the existing sand.

MeSue said:
We just replaced our 12 year old 18' round AGP with a new one. I got the Liner Shield and cove from Pool Supply World online. The two together from there was a great deal cheaper than anywhere else. When we got the package, the Liner Shield was actually labeled as Liner Armor.

I bought it here too for the same reason (and noticed the same thing)!

MeSue said:
As far as the sand... they didn't do anything but pull out some roots that had grown under the old one and rake it. They didn't even tamp it down according to my husband. (I had to run into town to fetch a part while the majority of the installation was going on... I would have made them tamp it if I had been there, but oh well.) Fortunately, our new pool had the same number and spacing of the posts as the old one so all the existing blocks were already in place and level and there was not that much disruption of the existing sand.

We had pretty much the same experience last year with our install (except we did the install ourselves). But it sure would have made a world of difference if our new pool had the same number of posts/spacing as the old pool! What a pain it was to dig out all of the old patio blocks (18) and install and level the new blocks (16), since 2 fewer posts meant the spacing was all off... That part took forever.

Our old pool's liner sat on lumpy sand (with the same roots and mole tunnels), so even though we didn't tamp the sand out for the new install, we were already used to feeling the lumpy bottom so it was no big deal.

nathanc03 said:
I'm looking at purchasing the Liner Shield and wanted to know if you were happy with the product. Thanks.

Yes, I was happy with the liner pad, especially considering the price I paid!

Just pulled off my cover a few hours ago and the water underneath was sparkling blue! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nathanc03 said:
Thank you for your suggestion, I have it narrowed down between 2 different liner pads. They are within $3 of each other so I'm just wondering which one would be better. What do you all think or do you think they are the same.

The "Liner Armor" from Poolsupply world says its only 1/18th of an inch thick.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... LGP33R.htm

The "Liner Shield" from pooldeals doesn't say how thick it is.
http://www.pooldeals.com/catalog/Liner- ... 16691.html

I wouldn't be surprised if they were identical. Why don't you inquire about the thickness at the bottom of the pooldeals page under the "Ask a question" tab?

I think I remember buying the Liner Shield version form pooldeals and they sent me the Liner Armor pad. It was the first time I was using a liner pad, so I really had not point of comparison for it, and I decided it didn't really matter too much.

My pad was called "Happy Bottom" 17 years ago when I put up my pool. I believe it was 1/4" thick closed cell foam, I cant remember. I also opted for the wall foam and the foam cove. I do think it helps hold heat better to some degree at night, with a solar cover. The foam cove is nice also. Still in place after all these years. I really like the whole package & I've never even had to patch for a leak yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.