Low CH in fresh pebblesheen replaster

Mar 12, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I'm new to TFP. I just had a replaster done using Pebblesheen, including the final acid wash; a few days after the fill the builder turned it over to me. My first test shows a CH of 80 (low!), with the other levels as follows:
FC 3.0/CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 120
CYA 70
Testing temp = 68F/pool = 60F. I wasn't on hand, but the builder added at least CYA (found an empty can) and left me some acid and cal hypo shock. My fill water has a CH of 130, so where did all of the CH go? With my old (plaster) finish, I was always fighting to keep CH <400 as you would expect in So AZ. If the new Pebblesheen needs & is consuming CH I'll gladly add some Ca, but otherwise I hate to add it just to have to surely drain it out later this summer. Brushing generates just a bit of 'dust' and my K/K is picking up some loose pebbles, which I think is normal. My filter has stayed right at its 'clean' backpressure since the fill. The recent 12F cold snap here either killed or defoliated most nearby trees, whose abundant debris has now been ending up in the pool. I just net it out daily and haven't let it accumulate. I have tons of CaCO3 as caliche throughout my yard, but none is white unfortunately! Thanks for any input...

Welcome to TFP!

During the first month or so the plaster curing process will raise the PH, TA, and CH levels fairly rapidly. Assuming you are in the first few days to a week, everything is going just fine and you do not need to do anything except maintain the FC level and keep the PH below 8.0. By week three you want CH to be at least close to 200, which it will no doubt do on it's own.

Your old high CH level went away when the pool was drained to do the re-plaster. Apparently your fill water CH level is not too high.

A fair bit of dust and a few pebbles is normal, nothing to worry about at all.

Thanks for the advice! I test the CH every few days & will look for a rise. The pH has trended upwards too as I would expect. The builder put the K/K back in a few days after the fill & set the pump for 8 hrs/day. He said the pebble finishes are far less delicate than plaster. I also have a two-wheel Jacuzzi (Pool Cleaner), which I was saving until the K/K needed its next part. The Pebbletec website doesn't mention cleaners, but the Plasterer's Council website said 'no wheeled devices' before 28 days. The water has been in for about 2 weeks now; what would be a good K/K start date? The K/K is handy, esp. since the builder filled in my old (non-safety) drain. I've gotten maybe 1 cup of loose pebbles to date.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.