Arrrgggg...wind and leaves!

stbasil

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
Wimberley TX
We are entering our first spring with our new pool, and here in Austin the prevailing wind is from the south. Unfortunately, I am finding out that the south wind blows surface debris to the deep end of our pool, but the skimmer is near the shallow end. Even if I run the pump at a high speed, the surface currents created by my carefully-aimed returns just can't overcome a 15-25 mph south wind in order to carry the surface stuff over to the skimmer. So, all the debris just floats around in circles on one end and never gets to the skimmer--eventually sinking if I don't pick it up with a pole skimmer. And, this is the time of year when our central-Texas live oaks shed their leaves and grow new ones, so lots of dead oak leaves are blowing around!

BTW, when the wind is calm, or from the north, the built-in skimmer works great!

A little Googleing and I found a couple of products: The Dragonfly is $425 + tax, which seems a little steep to me, plus it appears to have a long hose. Then there is a $100 one called PoolSkim, which attaches to a return and hugs the side of the pool--seems like a perfect solution for me since it would be somewhat out of the way.

Any of you experienced pool owners have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bill

I have a pool skim and it works great, however the stuff has to get to it in order for it to work. I had to aim the pool skim so the debris would hit the pool skim 1st, then the regular skimmer. If your debris collects in the deep end, you may want to look into adding another return in that area to keep things from gathering in one spot.

Hello~~

There is a small chance that the below thread might be helpful to you. From your post, I understood you to be saying that you have your returns aimed in such a way that they are angled up. Try aiming your returns flat out. Your pool water will still have directional flow, but the surface won't be "confused" and broken up, and you might have a chance of fighting the effects of that wind.

return-valve-positioning-t28241.html

Good luck!

Lana

Hi Bill :wave:

If you use the google search (bottom left of this page), you will find that we have lots of members using the PoolSkim and some using the Dragonfly.

Some members have also posted pics/videos showing how to assemble and how they work in their pools.

BTW, the PoolSkim gets a lot of high-fives :)

Thanks zea, Lana and Butterfly!

I actually searched poolskim before posting, but for some reason I got zero results, so obviously I must have done something wrong!

Anyway, I am going to re-adjust my returns to reduce surface currents in my circular motion, because, yes, they are pointed upward. And, I'm going to order a PoolSkim! The Dragonfly may be better, but I just don't like something sitting in the middle of my pool, and also I'm too cheap to spend $400+ for a hunk of plastic!

Do you guys think the PoolSkim can stay in place under a solar blanket (I know it wont skim, but it looks like the blanket would just push the float down a bit and not damage anything).

Bill

Progress Report:
After using the PoolSkim for a month+, I gotta say, It's Fantastic! :goodjob: Had to put flow reducers (available from PoolSkim) in the other returns to force enough flow through it, and also adjusted the returns for a consistent below-surface circular current. I do have to remove the floating collar when I put the pool cover on, which is easy enough.

Thanks for posting this. Since we have 68 tons of leaves and blooms fall in the pool every year I'm very interested in anything that will skim them off before they sink. OK I might have exaggerated a little on the 68 tons! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.