Jandy vs pentair

Feb 27, 2011
I know PBs have strong opinions for the product they use. My gut is they are both have quality equipment and each PB uses the one they are used to and have had good experiences with. (the ford/chevy debate). I am about to pick a PB to build my pool. Is it worth pushing for one brand or picking based on the brand? Is Pentair more expensive or is that PB just charging more?

thanks

Jandy, Pentair, and Hayward are all major brands that make solid products that are all in the same general price range. I happen to like Jandy valves, Hayward automation, and Pentair pumps, but really there is more variation in both quality and price, between model lines within a single manufacturer than there is between them.

There are advantages to getting all of your equipment from a single brand. You usually get much better warranty coverage that way, which is well worth it and more important that the relatively small differences between brands.

I'll agree with Jason.

Also, you'll find not much love for hayward from some of the service guys on this site, but I really dont know why. The reason's given are varied, but mostly what i can get out of them range from the heater is hard to work on, the laterals are prone to break in the sand filters, the pump motor isnt sealed right, etc etc, etc. :blah:

My own feeling is, being just an owner and not a service guy, that a lot of guys dont like Hayward just like a lot of people dont like the red sox and yankees. It's popular, and they have a big market share. Keep in mind that if there are a thousand pool pumps in a service area, and 800 are haywards, the chances are the service guys are going to work on a Hayward more often than not simply because they are more abundent. From my research, you can find something thats wrong with ANY brand. If someone has a peice of equipment and it breaks, gives them issues, etc, then in their opinion, it'a a POS and nobody should buy one.
IMO, any of the equipment named is good stuff. A lot of builders are warranty centers for a particular brand and/or get good deals if they install a particular brand. Some areas of the country have better service on one brand or another also, so thats a consideration as well. Also keep in mind that there are maybe 10 service guys on TFP. A couple like Hayward, a few dont. There are thousands of service companies that have never heard of TFP (although they should :mrgreen: ) that install hayward all the time and without issue.

ditto to Jason and bk. There is always a lemon in the crowd...either will be fine :goodjob: A friend of our just put in a top of the line pool and it happens to be all Jandy Equipment. Yet my BIL has a 10 year old S244t and a 1hp super pump (Hayward) also with no issues. IMO...It all depends on the PB :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks,
I think I get caught in analyses paralysis. As a information hound and control freak, It's hard to give total control over to a PB whom I don't know. I try to figure what I should use. (BTW, I'm just like this during the planning phase. I'm not a PITA once the build starts).

this it the build I think I'm going with. any thoughts?

perimeter 151 (spa 20); surface area 488/33; 15,555 gal

filter run 42', spa 77'
paramount PV3 in floor cleaning system, MDxX drain main/SDX spa
Jandy PDA-ps6
Intelliflo pump
2 hp blower with inteliflow filtration
Laars LX 400,000 btu heater
Jandy aquapure salt clorination system
Jandy CHEM LINK 1900 purification system
Pal Treo lites

any advice is appreciated- from run now to minor adaptations or questions to ask.

thanks

77 feet is a very long pipe run to the spa. Flow rates to a spa need to be high, so the extra distance will make things challenging. I recommend looking into ways to shorten that run if you can.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from the CHEM LINK. I don't generally recommend PH or ORP automation for residential pools. For most people they add complexity without providing much value. There can be situations where PH regulation is worth the extra effort, but they aren't all that common. For an outdoor residential pool ORP is essentially never worth the trouble.

Along similar lines, an in-floor cleaning system isn't for everyone. If you are in a very dusty area and want a clean pool an in-floor system can be just the thing, but again for most people it is not worth the extra expense and likely ongoing maintenance. The tradeoff isn't as clear cut here as it was with the CHEM LINK. In floor systems can work very well, they just tend to be expensive in up front, electrical usage, and maintenance/repair costs.

JasonLion said:
77 feet is a very long pipe run to the spa. Flow rates to a spa need to be high, so the extra distance will make things challenging. I recommend looking into ways to shorten that run if you can.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from the CHEM LINK. I don't generally recommend PH or ORP automation for residential pools. For most people they add complexity without providing much value. There can be situations where PH regulation is worth the extra effort, but they aren't all that common. For an outdoor residential pool ORP is essentially never worth the trouble.

Along similar lines, an in-floor cleaning system isn't for everyone. If you are in a very dusty area and want a clean pool an in-floor system can be just the thing, but again for most people it is not worth the extra expense and likely ongoing maintenance. The tradeoff isn't as clear cut here as it was with the CHEM LINK. In floor systems can work very well, they just tend to be expensive in up front, electrical usage, and maintenance/repair costs.

I'm not sure I want the CHEM LINK either. My wife was chirping in his ear that we we want as little mainanice as possible. We live in a fairly dusty area in arizona, but what type of mainanice for the infloor system are you talking about?

An in-floor system has little heads that pop up to spray water across the floor at high pressure. Not often, but once in a long while, one of those heads will get stuck either up or down and need to either be freed or replaced. It isn't a huge problem or anything, but it is another thing to think about.

In high dust areas there are many many people who love their in floor cleaning system. Where I am in Maryland, where dust isn't an issue, almost nobody uses them.

I wouldn't waste your money on the "in-floor" cleaner, you'll end up running your variable speed circ pump at a high RPM's for it to function properly.

Remember, there is no "Set It And Forget It" Make it simple for yourself, buy some type of liquid chlorine injector (or SWCG), add acid when needed and check your chemistry with a TF-100 or K-2006 Test Kit a couple times a week!

JasonLion said:
An in-floor system has little heads that pop up to spray water across the floor at high pressure. Not often, but once in a long while, one of those heads will get stuck either up or down and need to either be freed or replaced. It isn't a huge problem or anything, but it is another thing to think about.

The original owner of a Paramount in-floor system, however, gets a lifetime warranty on the pop up heads.

salp said:
I wouldn't waste your money on the "in-floor" cleaner, you'll end up running your variable speed circ pump at a high RPM's for it to function properly.

Remember, there is no "Set It And Forget It" Make it simple for yourself, buy some type of liquid chlorine injector (or SWCG), add acid when needed and check your chemistry with a TF-100 or K-2006 Test Kit a couple times a week!

You only need to run a infloor for 2-4 hours per day which is ~$30 a month at .22 per kwh.

Its rare for us to install a pool without an infloor system.

Where would "rare" be? Not in Southern California.

2-4 hours a day is how long I run my pump during the winter months. Why would I invest in a variable speed pump if I am going to run it at high speed all the time?

Again, I wouldn't waste money on a "in-floor" cleaner when I can buy a poolvergneugen for $400.00 that actually sucks up sand instead of blowing around...

In-floor cleaning really does one thing well, it takes leaves and other "light objects and blows them to the surface so your skimmer can do the work. If you have sand or flagstone, it just blows it around. You still have to vacuum it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.