I'll hold off on my comments for now...

Attachments

• Image007.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 403
  • Image012.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Image015.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 398
Here's some new ones that show a little better...

Attachments

• Image071.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 367
  • Image112.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Image139.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 362
Fantastic links and research and great photos! The last set of pictures show some pretty good filament-style algae. I'm not even going to guess what type, but the key is how different it looks from pollen or dirt. It's got a real translucent character to it and an oblong not perfectly spherical shape. Though identification of a specific algae might be nice, I think the main thing is if it is easy to tell the difference between algae or pollen (or dirt) since that's the main issue people come up with. Especially with yellow/mustard algae vs. pollen. Green algae is usually easier to figure out since it's more free floating and not dust-like.

Again, GREAT WORK! I think every pool store should have a microscope to definitively determine algae vs. pollen. Evan (waterbear), what do you think? And I wonder if a really inexpensive microscope for home use would be good enough to make the algae vs. pollen distinction for most pool users.

Richard

All the above samples labeled H1 and H2 are from the same pool. This person described the problem they had as
I got the Mustard algae/brown/yellow dusty evil disappearing reappearing magical #@#%^@ Crud on the bottom creases/crevices of my vinyl liner AG 33'round pool

It sounds , to me, that we may be hearing about two different types of (either) yellow/green or yellow/brown algae. One that is powdery and settles in the crevices and the other that is a little slimy and clings to the shaded walls and bottom. Then you have pollen that also may mimic the "dusty" mustard algae. I'd like to get some more samples of the dusty yellow algae, sticky yellow algae and pollen to see just what behaves differently. I'd like to get some of the "sticky" yellow algae so we could see how it behaves with chlorine consumption and such.

I'd also like to look at the water from people who have had any of the yellow algae or , even if you cleaned it out...this stuff seems slow to multiply that I wonder if you can think you've cleared the problem when you've only reduced it to a slight suspension. Which may also account for some people noticing that there is very little chlorine consumption (just a few early thoughts)

Ugh! But dealing with all this algae, bacteria, fungus and various floc structures is really spinning my head around :x
dan

My water is really (REALLY) cold but if I can manage a sample...even from the filter... I will send it to you. I am SO incredibly sick of this stuff. :evil: I think it's gone, no drop in chlorine,looks clear,etc, and nope it always comes back. It is ALL over the bottom of the pool again as I type this. The temps here the last week have been only mid low 70's during the day and 50-60's at night.....= cold pool water! :shock:

I'll let you know.

Here are a few samples of the dust from my water...

Attachments

• Image007.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Image020.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 275
  • Image022.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 283
and another of sample H2, which was descibed above as yellow dust...

Attachments

• Image003.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Image013.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Image158.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 271
and some samples of green algae that took a long while to get going!

Attachments

• Image006.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Image010.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Image015.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 270

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's another couple pics from a water sample with no visible substance in the sample (to the naked eye). It is from water sample lsb. The pool owner complained of a substance that was not slimy and started as deposits near the steps (I'll try to get a more in depth description). The owner also stated that there was little or no chlorine drop even when the pool had blown into full green.

Here is a link of the start of the problem

here is a link once the pool is full green.

dan

Attachments

• DSC02148a.jpg
    DSC02148a.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 225
  • beginning of algae on steps.jpg
    beginning of algae on steps.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 227
Here's the lsb water sample with alot of suspended live algae that I believe may be Aphanocapsa.

dan

Attachments

• Image001.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Image009.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Image012.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 224
You should also try mixing some DE and water and see what that looks like under the microscope.

I was adding DE to my sand filter this season and then noticed dirt collecting in the low spots.

I would vacuum it but the next day it would be back.

Apparently the DE is too fine for my filter to catch and I was just vacuuming it and having it go right back out into the pool.

Filter would shut off for the night, DE settled and then moved into lowspots the next morning when the circulation started.

Once I stopped adding the DE the problem disappeared.

haze said:
You should also try mixing some DE and water and see what that looks like under the microscope.

I was adding DE to my sand filter this season and then noticed dirt collecting in the low spots.

I would vacuum it but the next day it would be back.

Apparently the DE is too fine for my filter to catch and I was just vacuuming it and having it go right back out into the pool.

Filter would shut off for the night, DE settled and then moved into lowspots the next morning when the circulation started.

Once I stopped adding the DE the problem disappeared.

Hi haze :)

That's a good idea! I'll have to get some from my brother-in-law and post the pictures.

thanks,
dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.