Energy efficient or standard whisperflo

elizb

Mar 10, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
My pump is on the way out, so now to decide how to replace it.

It is/was a 2hp uprated Whisperflo, running on 230V.

I'm looking at basically an in-kind replacement, but noticed the energy efficient motor versions as an option. Both follow the same pump curve, but the energy efficient version is 230V only, vs 115/230V for the standard.

I'm estimating my usage to be around 300 hours/mo @ 230x11.2A=2576W (standard) or 230x8.8=2024W (energy eff). I think this works out to around a 130 kWh savings, which at 0.10/kWh pays out pretty quickly on the pump cost. Am I missing anything here?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

How big is the pool? Any special features, such as a waterfall or spa, infinity edge etc? A 2HP is usually an oversized pump for most pools, but not always, when certain features are present.

I'm estimating the pool being around 28000 gallons + spa with overflow waterfall, and a pretty high water flow slide (Xstream brand - maybe up to 35 gpm)

other components:
Aquarite SWG
Pentair 420 cartridge filter
Heat pump

Also - I meant to specify uprated to 2.2 SFHP (2HP w/ 1.1SF)

The namplate amp ratings are fairly worthless and don't really give you a good idea of power draw in operation so I don't think you can really compare the pumps that way. But given that you have a spa and need the higher flow rates, you will save a lot more money with a two speed pump. In a typical pool, a WFDS-28 will draw about 2195 watts (90 GPM) on high speed and 415 watts (45 GPM) on low speed. So you can use high speed for the spa and low speed for general circulation. Overall, this will save you much more money over the long run than a high efficiency single speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.