What it costs to run a pool pump

Puffin

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Metro Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm trying to understand more about what it costs to run a pool pump.

When you say 160 watts that's per hour, correct?

In this example, the 1100 RPM at about 160w (per hour) works out to 1280w a day (160*8). The 850 RPM at 95w speed works out to 2280w (95*24) per day. The difference works is 1000w more a day? So if you're KWH cost is say 10 cents, it cost you 10 cents more a day to run at the slower speed?

Re: Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS and Pentair Cartridge Filter

Watts are a power number and are not "per" any unit of time. However, a kilowatt-hour (kWh) is the product of the power with time (which is energy) so you are correct in your calculation where you multiply Watts by hours of runtime (say, per day), divide by 1000 to get kWh and that tells you the energy difference (again, per day, if your timeframe for comparison is "per day").

Re: Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS and Pentair Cartridge Filter

Thanks for not making me feel dumb. Reading the question afterward it was kind of self evident. I appreciate your straight forward answer.

So that pump uses something like 38400w - 68400w a month which is something like (numbers above times 30). Which is pretty inexpensive 38.4KWH to 68.4KWH at 10cents a KWH works out to $3.84 to $6.84 a month. In general how much power does a standard 1hp pump use?

The actual number of watts varies depending on how your plumbing is setup, how dirty the filter is, etc. A average high efficiency 1 HP full rated single speed pump might draw about 1400 watts.

You are labeling your numbers "w", but if you are talking power usage you should be using kwh. A 160 watt load run 14 hours a day uses 2,240 wh or 2.24 kwh in one day, which adds up to about 68 kwh in a month. A 1 HP pump drawing 1400 watts uses 1.4 kwh per hour. Run 5 hours a day that works out to about 214 kwh a month. At $0.10 per kwh, that would be $21.40/month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.