Proper order of adjustment

Bbbbjr

Mar 9, 2011
Hi all
First post from a Newbie although I have read this site often and you all are really helpful.
My question is not so much about proper level in my vinyl pool, which this site has already told me, but rather in what Order I should adjust them. I have a 30k gal vinyl in ground pool.
My current values are:
Ch 110
Ta 65 (always tend to low)
Ph 6.7
These are my pre open values and expect to open in 3 weeks.
Last year had some metals staining on steps but water right now tests with no copper or iron but I do expect to see metal stains when I pull off the cOver.

So what is the right order? Assume I should adjust all before worrying about chlorine but not sure whether to start with metals, ch or ta.

Welcome to TFP :wave: Always adjust PH first. If the PH is truly 6.7, I would get that done now, up to at least 7.2. If you continue to find your PH dropping, you may have to raise your TA a bit (75 or so) with baking soda, unless you are using trichlor pucks, which may be causing your low PH. CH at 110 in a vinyl pool is just fine :goodjob:

If the heater manufacter warranty requires a certain CH level, then you should obide by that :lol: Personally, I would think that when it comes to heaters, you don't want much calcium at all. I live in a High CH water area (330+ppm...So I would love your CH level in my pool or home) If it wasn't for my water softener, my hot water heater would be fouled up in a few months time :rant:

PS the reason for adjusting PH 1st is that it has an effect on TA, so raising PH will likely raise your TA level. Borax has less of an impact on TA while PH+ has a more significant TA side-effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.