Is Pump too Powerful for Intelichlor?

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
Hi, I'm new to the forum. My pool was completed on 12/4/2010. It was designed as a salt water pool but we decided in the middle of construction to use Trichlor pucks. Now I realize that was a mistake. In 9 weeks my CYA level hit 100 ppm and I replaced half the water. For now I'm using 6% bleach and I plan to continue with bleach until it gets too hot. This summer I plan to install an intelichlor IC20 to go with the rest of the Pentair equipment and the Easytouch 4 controller. My concern is whether my 2.0 HP Whisperflo (single speed) is too powerful to generate chlorine. The Intelichlor manual says that the flow rate should be between 25 and 105 gpm. My PVC pipes are 2". I've tried to figure the flow rate by referring to the Whisperflo manual but it makes little sense to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

The actual flow rate depends on a large number of details of your plumbing, so it is impossible to give you an exact number. Still, I would expect that your are likely to be in the 100 GPM range, and thus either close to the limit or just over it. To avoid any problems, the SWG can be plumbed with a bypass loop, so the SWG gets the flow rate it wants and the rest goes through the bypass. There is a diagram of how to do this in the IntelliChlor manual.

If you have a spa and an open relay, at least consider putting a 2 speed relay in the automation and a 2 speed motor on the pump.

Advantages:

Lower power consumption during filtration.
Slower moving water will yield better filtration
Less stress on your equipment = longer lasting

If there is no spa, a smaller 2 speed motor can be used.

If there are no extra relays available, a VS-3050 will be a better option.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.