The Numbers Are In! Need help fine tuning...

The only problem with not having enough bleach on hand to keep it at shock level is that when it drops you'll be losing ground, so inversely it'll take more bleach to complete shocking. That's why we say to test and add as often as every hour to begin with. You work a little more but you get finished shocking sooner. Just hit it hard when you get back to it and try to maintain shock level as often as you can.

I will make sure I get a good amount today. I thought I had bought enough before (about 29 gallons), but I guess that still wasn't enough. I will keep it up and will be able to devote more time to it between Friday night and all day Saturday.

The FC dropped from 16.5 to 14.5 thru today. The CC remained the same at 1. I picked up some more bleach and have dumped 3 jugs (just over 492 oz in per the instructions from the pool calculator).

I guess I just need to try and test it every hour or so starting an hour after I put it in until I go to bed to keep it at 25, is that right?

7:20PM

FC 21.5
CC 1

Added 1 more jug...an hour to go for another check! A week ago this whole process of doing this myself seemed very daunting, but with the help of everyone here it has been smooth and I am seeing results...a lot more than I can say about what I was seeing with the pool store. Not only do I thank you, my wife and wallet thank you! I will keep you updated!!!! :whoot:

The last time I checked it last night the FC was 26 and CC was 1, so I didn't add anything. The last time I added anything was at 7:15 last night. This morning the FC was 25.5 and the CC was 1.

Should I add something before leaving for work to hold it through the day or let it be? If I need to add some, how much do you think is enough to hold it through the day? Thanks!

Since you're at 25.5ppm I wouldn't add any more this morning. What you're seeing is expected. The farther into the process you get the less FC you lose and the longer it holds. I think you'll be ok till you get home. Then test and add again as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It sure sounds like you are on a good path. What does your water look like? Have you had to backwash/clean your filter yet? My assumption is you are running your pump 24/7 during this process.

The water is still pretty cloudy, but blue. I can see the bottom step in the walk in area of the pool, but it is not very clear. I backwashed the filter about 3 days ago and the PSI has risen about 6 PSI. I could tell that day after it being run all day that it was a lot clearer, so I think I will backwash again when I get home. Yes, it has been running 24/7 thru the entire process. I can see some progress being made.

Well, I am late chiming in but it sure sounds like you are doing everything just right.

I think a backwash with a 6 psi rise is a good idea.

You may need a little patience at this point as the process seems to go really slow sometimes when you get to that cloudy blue stage.

You're almost there. Keep up the good work! :-D

I have been checking through today and my numbers so far today are below. I have only added bleach once this morning at 7:00AM, so I am not sure why my FC went up at 3:15 unless me brushing and vacuuming stirred up some chemical??

7:00AM
FC: 23
CC: 1

9:45AM
FC: 24.5
CC: .5

11:30AM
FC: 25
CC: 1.5

3:15PM
FC: 25.5
CC: 1.5

I have had it turned off, though. The salt level in the pool is only around 2070 and it will not generate anything. It says low minerals or something of that nature.

I have been testing and adding as needed for the past couple of days. The results are below. I can almost see the bottom in the shallow end, but still cloudy. I have backwashed the filter and kept the pump running 24/7. Let me know if I need to do anything different. Thanks!

2:00PM
FC: 27.5

3:30PM
FC: 25

6:30PM
FC: 23
CYA: 60

You are adding DE back to the filter after you backwash aren't you? I know it's probably a moot question but it came to me to ask. This is the part of the clearing that takes the most patience. Hang in there and it'll clear soon.

What is DE? Only kidding! :lol: Yes, I have been adding DE back to the filter as I backwash. I have gone through 2 bags and will be picking up a 3rd bag today. I could see the bottom of the shallow end this morning!! There was some dirt that had settled in a couple of places, so it made it easier to see. I will vacuum that after work and hopefully be able to see more. My CC level had dropped over night to .5 and my FC dropped some as well. I added enough bleach to bring my FC back up to shock level for today. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.