Calcium Chloride in Northern California

Jul 31, 2010
Rescue, CA
Does anyone know where to find Dowflake/Peladow/Tetraflake or the like in Northern California (more specifically the Sacramento area)? I've been calling around and I can't even find it in the higher country (Placerville) where it snows. Everything I'm coming across for ice melt seems to be either magnesium chloride or potassium chloride. In the end I may have to order it online and pay shipping that's more than the bag of Dowflake to begin with ($22/50# plus $33/shipping); but still cheaper than Hardness Up from the pool store.

I didn't think of that...that may be a good alternative. Thanks!

As for the question of whether I need to raise it for a fiberglass pool, I would have to defer to the more knowledgeable folks here. This will be my first full season maintaining my pool. Based on the Pool Calculator the target level was 220 to 320 for a fiberglass pool. Additionally, the Pool School info suggested that calcium would help resist staining and cobalt spotting for fiberglass pools, but it doesn't say how much. Logically, it would seem like there isn't a real need to have high calcium when the liner doesn't have much in the way of calcium to be leached out. I will admit that I really don't know...

Welcome to the forum :lol:

An adequate amount of CH in a fiberglass pool is not an absolute certain requirement. Over the years, there have been several things that indicate it may help somewhat to prevent staining but I have never seen anything that I felt was really definitive. On the other hand, CH around 200 or so will certainly never hurt.

My personal opinion would be to leave it at 140 and it will likely increase on it's own over the summer due to evaporation and refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.