Bermuda Triangle effect with Salt Water Pool

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
heh :)

a very typical 15k pool here (family but not mine) where I had added 2 days ago 4 bags @ 60 lbs salt and today, upon adding (what I hope) the final 2 bags (2 x 60 = 120 lbs) for a combined total 360 lbs, the pool cleaner hose experienced a "Bermuda Triangle" effect.

literally, about 5 minutes after the 2nd bag contents were dropped into the deep end, the entire length of the pool cleaner hose submerged, all the way to the bottom as in some old time submarine movie.

about 5 minutes later, the hose resurfaced only to sink down to the bottom again 5 minutes later (as I write this, the entire hose is laying on the pool bottom).

pump is running normal at 20 GPM but the surface tension is apparently gone awol. small ships nearby are also sinking (floating toys..)

yes, suction side cleaner, absolutely no air bubbles in pump clear lid, totally silent operation and filter is at 1 psi (clean filter system).

as I write this the pool hose has re-emerged to surface and small ships are afloat again. no idea if crew survived. mostly barbie's and maybe one ken.

the 120 lbs of salt (large granules of water softener salt type @ 6.00 / bag @ home depot) totally dissolved inside 30 minutes.

the cleaner is set to steer away from the deep area but has free roam of 75% of pool space.

it was fun watching the hose do it's dive-dive-dive routine.

the ships were a hoot and holler, especially popular with the dog and cats.

>> Could the pool cleaner be sucking up some undisolved salt and the weight of the salt

the head of the cleaner is about 20 ft away, banished from the section where the bags were dumped. of course the solids to liquid conversion is almost immediate, so there is something like that going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.