Crack near bottom of pool

Mar 7, 2011
Part of my pool has cracked near the bottom ledges. Is this a big problem? If so, how can it be fixed?

Also, I have a pool vacuum but it does not move to all the areas by itself. Is there a certain piece in which I can connect it to the vacuum so I can maneuver it with a large pole?

Thank you :-D

1) Please take advantage of the signature feature of the forum to post your pool's specs, you location, etc...

2) Put a photo up on Photobucket. They give you four options for posting, copy the 4th option in the message box.

3) What kind of sweep?

Scott

Could you help me estimate the size of my pool in gallons by looking at pictures of my pool?

If so, I upload pictures here:
100_0665.jpg

100_0662.jpg

cracks:
(pictures deleted)

OK, so now we know you have a fiber glass pool. How about telling us the length, width and depth. Then we can estimate the pool volume.

It will be a lot easier to see the crack with the pump off. The water's surface distorts the view and makes it hard to tell.

How old is the pool?

Scott

Simple quick question?

Are you losing water? As in always having to put water in the pool to keep the water at the proper level to keep the skimmer working.

Nice enclosure BTW, must be easy to keep the pool clean.

PoolGuyNJ said:
OK, so now we know you have a fiber glass pool. How about telling us the length, width and depth. Then we can estimate the pool volume.

It will be a lot easier to see the crack with the pump off. The water's surface distorts the view and makes it hard to tell.

How old is the pool?

Scott

The length is 30 ft. The width I estimate is 13 ft. The depth is at one end 3 ft at the other end 5.5 ft. If these values are reasonable, the pool is 2145 cubic feet, correct?

The pool is about 10 years old.

A few more questions I ask. I'm still working on my signature.

I have a filter, it looks like this:
100_0711.jpg

The pressure guage is usually around 18 psi. What does it mean for the pressure guage to be around 20 psi? What pressure psi is a problem? What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Can I tell the size of the pump and the size of my pool filter from this information? If not where can I find it?
100_0711.jpg

The cracks look like:
100_0706.jpg

The pool was filled a couple days ago and was last filled a couple weeks ago. How can I fix this?

I have a Hayward vacuum, you might be familiar with it:
100_0705.jpg

As you know it is connected to:
100_0704.jpg

This vacuum cleans one side of the pool and does not go to the other area.
How can this be fixed?

I think I can put the hose pictured in a hole on the other side. Is this hole the same as the hole in this picture?
100_0707.jpg

What are solutions to this problem?

The sides get a little dirty above the water with debris that is kicked up. Should I be brushing this off daily or will it go away?

Thank you

Pool volume is about 13,000 gallons.

The filter is a Hayward Star Clear. It's either a 120 or 175 Sq foot pleated cartridge. I can't tell from this perspective.

The pump is a 1.5 HP but I can't tell what model since you only showed the motor.

18 PSI is not a surprise. I would expect anywhere 12 to 18 with a new cartridge, depending on the plumbing and pump. The pressure will go up as it becomes dirty. Typically, the cartridge should be cleaned after a pressure rise of 8 to 10 PSI from a clean cartridge.

The pool sweep is a Hayward Navigator. Slow but steady and needs periodic service that is doable by most homeowners. It's good that you have a flapper to close it's wall port. This is a suction side cleaner. Its possible you may need to close the drain and partially close the skimmer in order for enough suction to be directed to the sweep. The other port you showed is a return from the filter system.

Lets see how much water you are losing, if any. The cracks may be just gel coat or there is an significant issue.

Get a roll of cheap duct tape. Cheap because it comes off easily. Premium tapes like Gorilla Tape will be a real bear to get off. Mark the water line with the tape. Run the system normally. Note the water level after 24 hours. If there is more than a 1/4" drop, you know you have a leak. Remark the water level with another piece of tape. Turn off the system for 24 hours and note the level. If the drop is the same, it's likely the cracks and they will need to be repaired. Most dealers bring the manufacturer's crew in to do it. Since you are not the original owner, expect to pay for the service.

You may need to manually vacuum and brush the pool. I don't know your environment nor do have I seen the sweep working in your pool. Every pool is slightly different.

Scott

The water level sank 1/4 in since 24 hr. The second line is marked. Will check tomorr. I suspect the hose has been coiled, what do you think?

100_0718.jpg

Coiled cables restrict movement of vacuum.

Do these need to be replaced?
100_0729.jpg

100_0730.jpg

Here's the inside of the vacuum,
100_0726.jpg

If this compartment is clean, the vacuum cleaner should work properly if the mechanisms are working properly correct?

The sides are messy to deal with. How can I clean it? How regularly?
100_0727.jpg

Thank you

You need to replace any hoses with cracks in them - as the cleaner turns the hose will turn and twist and the cracks will open creating a suction leak and the cleaner will stop working. Try a diluted mixture of muriatic acid to clean the crud off of the cleaner. You may need new shoes for the feet too - they're not expensive and easy to change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the extra pix. That crack is now quite visible now. It will require getting ground down, V'ed, filled, re-fiberglassed, painted and gel coated. It will be somewhat visible but won't leak. Do not delay. The leaking water will cause both a wash out and will penetrate the layers, creating blisters and additional cracking.

Measure the height if the filter. That will tell us the side of your Hayward Star-Clear filter.

Scott

If you want to add chlorine without the pump running, you can pour it slowly while walking around the edge of the pool and then brush the entire pool to mix it in.

If you have the pump running, just pour in front of a return jet with the pump running.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Thanks for the extra pix. That crack is now quite visible now. It will require getting ground down, V'ed, filled, re-fiberglassed, painted and gel coated. It will be somewhat visible but won't leak. Do not delay. The leaking water will cause both a wash out and will penetrate the layers, creating blisters and additional cracking.

Measure the height if the filter. That will tell us the side of your Hayward Star-Clear filter.

Scott

Height = 23 inches

What shall I do?

You have two choices for taking care of the pool, you can either keep it filled up and maintain the chemistry as best you can with constant water replacement, or you can let it go until the repairs happen. The challenge with letting it go is that it is more difficult for repair people to see what is wrong and make estimates of how much work will be involved. I'd keep it full.

Meantime, you either need to figure out who built the pool, or get a couple of companies out to do estimates for repairs, or start in on a major do it yourself project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.