Pool Liner sag

Sep 29, 2010
The past 2 years I have opened my pool in mid-April only to find that my chlorine level was 0 and the water was very cloudy. I could only see down about 3 feet. This season, in an effort to avoid this happening for a 3rd year and add some liquid chlorine bleach if needed, I opened the auto cover to find that the liner is not tight against the pool walls and is sagging although still hooked on the bead. Winter closing I lower water to 2" below skimmer, add a winterizing kit, winterize all plumbing and close. Since this is the first time I've ever pulled back the cover before the water temperature hit 70 degrees, I wasn't sure if this is normal. The current water temperature right now is 40 degrees and crystal clear with a PH of 7.5 and Chlorine level holding at 10. I'm concerned that when it starts warming up the liner might start to wrinkle. Any help is highly appreciated.

Ronaldo

Pool is inground 16X32 with 8' deep end
Vinyl Liner
Indiana

If the liner is still attached and the walls are puffed in, you have a high water table. If the pool has wall foam between the liner and wall, it will let go of the wall and bunch up, eventually causing the bead to let go.

Yes, you can get wrinkles when the water table settles down. If you have a dry well, I suggest you use it and send the water pulled out well away from the pool.

There is no need, in the future, to lower the water for winter. Lowering is only needed to protect tile lines from freeze related damages on pools with tile.

Scott

Welcome to TFP!

There is so much water in the ground in Indiana right now, that it's not surprising. I hope it resolves well when the ground dries.

Thanks for the reply Scott and John. We have had a larger than normal rainfall this year and thought that it might possibly be water between the wall and the liner. If you mean to say the liner walls are puffed in that is exactly what I'm seeing, like large air pockets between the liner and steel wall. The steel walls are fine. There is not any wall foam between the liner and the wall. I took a squeegee down to the bottom of the pool, pressed it to the side wall and pulled it up along the wall to the top of the water line and the liner would flatten to the wall for a brief amount of time it's almost like a bunch of large air pockets between the wall and liner. When the pool was installed by the pool company I know they ran drain pipe around the perimeter of the pool and then down a hill where it comes out to the surface about 10 feet away from the pool, but I'm not seeing any water draining from the pipe into the yard. I guess the only thing I can do at this point is keep a close eye on it. Thank you again.

Thanks Scott, I'll go rent one and try that. I sent my wire fish tape up the pipe last night and hit something, I think, about 8 feet up. The pipe is the black corrugated 4" stuff.....so I'm hoping it's not collapsed. I can tell you that I don't believe they did the installation of the pipe right because if they bury that pipe deep 2' to 3' below the concrete pad, I see part of the pipe exposed where the concrete pad meets the yard. This would cause a backward slope having the outlet section higher than the perimeter section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.