Cholrine test is dark Orange Color

Welcome to TFP!

I assume you are talking about the OTO chlorine test: a vial with a color chart, you add five drops, which normally turns the sample different shades of yellow, which are then matched against samples on the color chart. The OTO test is normally used to measure TC levels between 0 and 5. You can, however, use this test to get a vague idea of extremely high TC levels. If the sample turns a particularly vivid yellow the TC level is between 5 and 15, light orange is between 10 and 20, dark orange is between 15 and 30, and brown is 30 or higher.

Since your FC level is 18.5, the OTO test is expected to turn some medium to dark shade of orange.

Assuming your numbers are correct, your largest problem is that your CYA level is too high. The standard CYA test reads levels over 100 as if they were 100, so your level might actually be quite high. If at all possible I recommend water replacement to get the CYA level down below 100. Before starting on that, make sure you are fairly confident of your CYA test results. One approach to double check is to mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water together and then do a CYA test with that and multiply the result by two.

Your CH level is way too low for a plaster pool. However, you don't want to do anything about this until you have done whatever water replacement you are going to do.

Finally, a CC reading of 1.0 is too high. You never want CC above 0.5. But I wouldn't worry about that too much just at first. If the CC level remains high for a couple of days after you get CYA down to something more reasonable, then work on the CC level.

Theoretically you need to drain 50% of your water if your CYA really is 100. But If it were me I'd drain about 1/3rd and retest. You may have to do it a couple of times to get it down to about 50 or so.

If you don't have your own test kit you really should consider getting one. I recommend the TF-100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.