Winter Pool Damage

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
So our snow is starting to melt today, we've had a ton this winter. Apparently at some point in the past few months our pool had some trouble. This morning I was able to finally survey the damage. The loop-loc cover collapsed under the weight of the snow and ice, tearing in several spots and destroying many of the springs on the one side of the pool. The underlying problem appears to be worse and is clearly the cause of the cover failure.

This is our first year (winter) owning the house with the pool and it is my first pool so I decided it would be best to have the pool company come close it. The water when the pool was closed was at the skimmer level. Today the water is about 3-feet or so lower than it was when it was closed. Also I can see that the liner in the shallow end is pulled far away from the pool wall. The seal around the pool light seems to be damaged as well.

Most of the pool water is frozen still and it will be probably a month or so until I can get the pool company out to give us an estimate for repairs. I fear the worst. I'm not sure if we will be able to take out a homeowners insurance claim to cover the cost, but I'm sure the repairs will be well over our $1,000 deductible. Hopefully the leak is not in the main drain or any of the piping. I'm going to call and schedule an appointment for early April so we can figure out what the deal is as soon as possible. I'll be curious once the water in the pool thaws if it will continue to drain out or what. What a sweet way to start a Sunday.

Did you lose an abnormal amount of water over the pool season? I assume the returns were plugged up so the leak was either in the main drain or in the shell of the pool (i.e. light niche, or in the liner itself some place). The other possibility could be a liner failure just in terms of ice potentialy causing a tear in the liner and causing it to pull away from the wall. Most likely a liner replacement would nned to be done. Insurance should cover it i would think.

I would loose what I was told a typical amount of water (about a 1/2") a week over the summer. The returns were plugged when the pool was closed. The liner is 8 or 9 years old, I think. I attributed the loss over the summer to the liner's age and evaporation since we live in a pretty breezy area. Right after it was closed we had a torrential rain storm and I had to pump down the pool as it was just about coming out of the skimmer in the sidewalk. I wonder if water got behind the liner when it got so full. Regardless, it will need to get fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.