Pool Pilot Digital vs Easytouch w/Intelliclor - 2 Speed Pump

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
We are putting in a 40x20 30K gallon rectangle pool with a WFDS-4 (Whisperflo 2 speed 1 hp pump), 2 Intellibrite LED's, possible heater/solar heat down the road. My question is which system would work better with my setup the Pool Pilot Digital or the Easytouch with Intelliclor?

I would like to be able to program times for the pump to turn on/off and program times for the pump to run in high and low speeds. From my readings I've learning that the AutoPilot can only turn a 2 speed pump on/off high speed and that unless there is an additional timer put in to control power to the AutoPilot then basically the pump will run 24 hours a day.

Will the Easytouch setup allow my to program my pump to be off certain hours and also program when it is in high or low speed?

Thanks.

Re: Pool Pilot Digital vs Easytouch w/Intelliclor - 2 Speed

The EasyTouch does allow you to setup a couple of different pump run times at different speeds. You can do the same thing with the AutoPilot unit if you add an external timer, though the EasyTouch is more flexible. The AutoPilot is a better SWG, but the EasyTouch allows you to do several things you couldn't do with the AutoPilot, such as control lights or a solar heater.

briansturgeon, no AutoPilot does not do automation features other than a simple pump timer.

bk406, all of the AutoPilot units except a few of the very low end ones, have a very nice large alpha numeric display with a very easy to use interface. The display can tell you things like how many pounds of salt you need to add or various error messages in actual english. AutoPilot also includes automatic temperature compensation and a well designed cell manifold, that are good to have but not as obvious day to day. None of this is essential to have, and they tend to cost more, but I find them well worth their price.

Would the Intellichlor/Easytouch be sufficient so I wouldn't have to buy separate automation and spend quite a bit more money? It seems as if the Pentair is the way to go in terms of getting the most for your money if you want automation. Looks like I could get the 40K cell, powercenter and easytouch conroller for around 1K. If I get the AutoPilot I'm looking around $1100 for the 48K cell/controller then I would have to buy an easytouch for over $500. Is it worth the extra expense?

Also, when I read the description of the Easytouch it says it has a 150 amp breaker base. Does this mean that the electrician could run the main electric from my home's 200 amp service right to the ET control panel instead of putting in a separate panel first?

Thanks

briansturgeon said:
Would the Intellichlor/Easytouch be sufficient so I wouldn't have to buy separate automation and spend quite a bit more money?

The Easytouch box is the automation so there is nothing else to buy. The easytouch box also contains the power supply for the IC-40 so you dont need to buy a power supply separately.

briansturgeon said:
Also, when I read the description of the Easytouch it says it has a 150 amp breaker base. Does this mean that the electrician could run the main electric from my home's 200 amp service right to the ET control panel instead of putting in a separate panel first?
Thats correct. You can run from 60 to 120 amp (i dont think its 150 unless the newer ones can handle it). I have 100 amps run from my main panel out to the Easytouch box. I have pump, IC-40, outlet, heat pump, etc hooked up out there. There are 8 breaker slots you csn use for a number of circuits.

bk406,

If you were me would you go with this setup for a 30K pool or would you buy the AutoPilot and then put an ET on it to control everything. I think going all Easytouch Intellichlor would be a simpler more affordable setup for sure but just wasn't sure about the size of the cell. I haven't seen the package deal for the IC60. Do you know if they have it somewhere?

Also, would I need the relay for the 2 speed pump if I have a 2 speed whisperflo i want to control?

My brother is an electrican but isn't familiar with pool automation and such. How difficult is this stuff to figure out? Sounds pretty straight forward after reading the manual.

Thanks

If your brother is a decent electrician and can read schematics and wiring diagrams he won't have any problem hooking up any of the equipment. There's a diagram for just about any piece of pool equipment so it's straight forward.

I'd get the IC-60 with Easytouch, but i'm biased because thats what i have (IC-40 actually). The only other thing you wolud need is the 2 speed relay.
Like Bama said, its pretty easy to wire. The schematics are right on the door. If you get stuck, any number on here could give you guys pointers on wiring it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Would it get more complicated than necessary if I purchased an AutoPilot now and then added an Easytouch when I had the extra cash? Would the Easytouch hookup to the AutoPilot at all or would the AP be standalone?

I would probably be spending an extra $600 or so just to do it this way. Do you think the AP is worth the extra money over the Intellichlor?

Somebody else can answer the questions on the autopilot since I dont have one. In general, I think it's better to have equipment that matches the automation, but thats just one guy opinion.
And no, I dont think the added expense of an AP is worth it. I'd get the IC-60 and Easytouch.

briansturgeon said:
Would it get more complicated than necessary if I purchased an AutoPilot now and then added an Easytouch when I had the extra cash?
No, it wouldn't be more complicated, but you would lose a minor feature or two you would otherwise get by using a matching SWG and automation system. An EasyTouch serves as the control center for the IC20/40/60 and can show the SWG settings on it's remotes. The EasyTouch also integrates the power supply for the IC20/40/60, so there is one less box hanging on the wall. Both are very minor issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.