How high can the water get on top of winter cover?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We have had a few thaws in the last month and this weekend it is pouring rain. The top of the winter cover looks like an ice rink and I went out and noticed that in addition to the ice, there is water almost up to the level of our stone coping. Is there any concerns about how high the water level on top of the cover is? Additionally I noticed an area along the side of the pool where the cover has pulled out from the liner snap in. It is about 1 foot long. Do I have to be concerned about snow/water getting into the actual pool? Thanks.

You should be pumping the water off the top of the cover if it's a solid cover. If it's mesh, your cover is sinking into the pool.

A water bag tarp cover should have a little bit of water to keep it from luffing in the wind. The rest needs to be pumped off or the weight of the water on top will pull the edges into the pool as more water collects on top.

A properly done cover will have no less than two feet of overlap when first set. The only exception is at the dive stand where it is often not available.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
A water bag tarp cover should have a little bit of water to keep it from luffing in the wind. The rest needs to be pumped off or the weight of the water on top will pull the edges into the pool as more water collects on top.

A properly done cover will have no less than two feet of overlap when first set. The only exception is at the dive stand where it is often not available.

Scott

And in my case, that Dang cover either wants to fly away until there's enough water on it or there's some air in one spot that once in rains a lot it creates a fold that sinks in the pool and wants to pull the remainder of the cover with it especially in the areas where the water bags were chewed by squirrels or some animals and have drained almost completely. :goodjob: :roll:

I'm hoping life will be easier once I move to a mesh type safety cover..

bk406 said:
Just an FYI. If the cover isn't a mesh cover its known as a solid cover. Solid as in water won't pass thru. Not solid as in rigid.

Thanks for the info.

Anyhow, it got cold again, with about 4 inches of snow. So the water is frozen again and it's covered in snow. For future reference, should I go buy a pump and drain the cover any time it gets mild over the winter, or should I just wait until spring when it melts and pump it off then. Our pool company that does our opening and closings didn't tell us to do anything.

Reactions: CamFamPool
It is always good to have a cover pump regardless, so I would go ahead and get one.

As for draining water, you don't normally need to do so once freezing weather sets in. However, if the water gets that deep on top of the cover it is a good idea to pump it off when you have a chance. I'm not sure where you live. Around where I am, it would be extraordinarily rare to get that much water on top of the cover.

One final thing to watch out for. If the cover developed a hole, water from the pool can flow out on top of the cover, creating a situation much like what you describe. If there is a significant hole, you don't want to pump the cover off, as that will simply result in pumping all the water out of the pool.

Thanks for the info so far. I live in Ontario Canada, so we get freezing weather in the winter. Anyhow, the cover was pretty much covered in snow most of the winter. We had a few mild days in which some of it melted and then turned to ice upon colder temps returning. Over the past weekend it became quite mild with prolonged rain. Then it turned cold again with about 8 inches of snow. So even if I had a pump, I couldn't drain anything since it's now frozen again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.