weak chlorine followup

Oct 3, 2010
Melbourne FL
Well, I got a weak batch of bleach last month:
measuring-bleach-strength-t28650.html

So, when I went back to the pool store I asked a few questions...
(same pool store that loaded me up on CYA and taught me about CYA the hard way)
(same pool store that was "correcting" the measurements of FC on there tests, I guess to account for the CYA)

I don't know the forum etiquette on naming stores so I will omit there name.
If it is acceptable I wish to post the store name.
If you live in Melbourne FL and want the name just PM me.

Here is a transcript of what happened from my perspective.
Make sure to weigh my bias.
Memories are not perfect; but it is an accurate representation...

I came to the counter with a full replacement chlorine jug to purchase...
me: Are the tanks out back used to fill the chlorine jugs?
clerk: yes
me: Is it possible that during the winter months they didn't get filled as often?
clerk: why
me: i got a weak batch last time
clerk: we never had any problems except for two years ago
me: what was that?
clerk: ok, we can give your money back.
me: no, that's not necessary; I want to know what happened last time. Is it possible the chlorine simply sat too long over the winter.
clerk: whats your phone number?
me: bah-bah-bah, bah-bah, bah-bah. (supposed to be phone rhythm)
owner: you can take your business somewhere else. (I guess they see I don't spend a lot of money)
me: you are willing to loose a customer instead of answering a few simple questions?
owner: you can shop at any other pool store.
me: do you have any quality control on you chlorine
owner: it is monitored using a computer
me: good, what were the readings
owner: we don't have them, the chlorine never changes
me: it is sitting in the sun in a translucent tower of course it changes.
owner: it was just filled
me: when was the last time it was filled before that?
owner: I don't appreciate you questioning our quality.
me: I just want to know if I can continue buying your chlorine, I want to know what I am putting in my pool.
owner: you can shop somewhere else

I took my empty jug back off of the rack, left the full one on the counter and walked out as the clerk (probably the daughter) and the owner smirked and giggled at one another.

I don't know why it degenerated so quickly, I would have expected the owner to be concerned about a possible quality issue.

For my part I did not go looking for a debate or altercation, just wanted to understand what happened with the chlorine.
(Maybe my CYA went back down? that would be great!... nope measured at 90 still...)

It is either ignorance or maliciousness. (Hanlon's razor)

Each time I go and get my one jug of chlorine, I see several "joe customers" leaving with 2-3 jugs and their algaecide.
Just as I was, before I got burned.

it would certainly be bad business practise but not unheard of on the part of the business owner. you will have better results with the chain run stores, ie Leslie's where you can escalate any issue to the corporate office. Leslie's would also be almost certain to have full strength chlorine on hand, as opposed to a nonchain storefront.

FWIW, none of the stores are immune to tactics that increase bottom line sales as I've overheard many times folks being "taken" for unnecessary chemical sales and rather than make an issue within earshot I may politely inquire outside the store about their purchase and then make a couple short suggestions, one of which is to send them to TFP (writing the URL on their phone..) for more details.

not meant to be OT but if banks can get away without prosecution and steal hundreds of billions why would pool stores be immune when it comes to few hundred per day ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.