Copper Ionization?

Jeff74 said:
Ok, so you can just unplug the copper part of the SWG? If that is so, it makes me feel a little easier about buying one this spring. Thanks.

As it is an above ground pool (vinyl) and your swg will already have it so your not buying anything extra and providing you can test and adjust the copper level independently why not use it, you will have less to worry about algae wise, it can also help with biofilm build up, it takes some of the workload away from your chlorine thus will make your salt cell last longer and you can run with lower chlorine levels.

If your pool was concrete/plaster/tile I would say absolutely disconnect it.

Going to put my flack jacket and tin hat on now

taintn said:
how much less are newer models producing (chlorine) have 2yr old model happy with this item, wondering about replacement?
The newer model Intex produces 12 grams/hour, the older ones are 24 grams/hour. I had to settle for the newer model when I got mine :( The good thing about it is that the timer keeps it's settings if you have a power outage or need to unplug it for some reason. As for the copper issue with these, I cut the copper bars off the plug because they looked like they could cause a flow restriction.

teapot said:
Going to put my flack jacket and tin hat on now

LOL :mrgreen:

Jeff,
If you have blonde haired family members or pets with white hair, disconnect the wire. if you don't disconnect the wire, just be sure to keep the PH in the recommended range to avoid staining.... while rarer, copper staining can occur on vinyl pools too.

Yes that happened to me, staining in a few spots, but for some reason, when I lowered the usage from 2 to 1 hr a day for the swg. with my filter (8 hr / 12 hrs a day), the staining went away. I have a 16' x 48" size ag ultra frame pool...I guess the copper was reabsorbed? Not too sure why, but it DID go away after I changed the swg settings and that's good news for me! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.