New Owner South of Buffalo NY!

Feb 28, 2011
First Go Bills/Sabres. :p

Hello all!~
The wife and I purchased the in-laws place in NOV (no, there was no discussion on price I was informed what I was going to pay). He built next door so I still have the "pool" expert to "help" (he is going to love it when I "help" some of the trees come to their untimely demise.)

Anyway, I used the pool at the house more than anyone anyway so I am super excited to finally own it. It is a 22,000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool oval shaped. I will post some pics when it is open. In fairness to my father in law he really has done a nice job with the pool/house. He just replaced the heater 2 years ago. However, e told me the pump is bad (or was making a bunch of noise) at the end of the season. I am in the market for one of those but I will post that it the pump area of the forum.

I have printed out a bunch of information from the pool school and am going to order the TF100XL test kit. Not that I have a clue what any of the stuff will test for and I am only ordering that one as from what I have read it is what most of you have(I think.).

Let's see married 3 kids 5 year old and 2 year old twins. The pool opens Mid May (again from what I am told).
If any of you have any suggested reading please point me in the right direction.

Here are some pics as of today.
The blue dot is the pool cover attempting futilely to poke its way through the ice.

I diligently had all of the water off of the cover until mother nature decided to snow for weeks then rain then stay at zero for about 3 months. So that is a large accumulation of ice onto of the cover.
188664_1823508836383_1500108753_1907405_4131996_a.jpg

188432_1823509116390_1500108753_1907406_2474501_n.jpg

Filter type is a Hayward Sand.
Gallons is 22,000
Pump is a old Hayward Max Flo 1 hp pump( I want to replace with a 2 speed)
Chlorine I think he just threw it in but am not sure.
Automation? I don't know what that is.
2 returns
1 skimmer
one main drain.
Pentair 250000 BTU gas heater

Thanks.. I will get some real pics when I get everything done.
He told me the other day "I am a chlorine guy" I don't use that baquacil. My conversion will be easy... He just bought the pool store chlorine which to my limited knowledge is just the same as any other bleach just a little pricer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I am sure you will get the hang of the vacuum and you and your wife may battle who gets to clean the pool but I can tell you now, you will need a bigger lawnmower for your nice pretty grass. That little one just isn't going to cut it :)

Thanks Floater... Just got done with first swim! My father in law came over and showed me how to use the vacuum. There is a hole in the tube so I couldn't keep the pump primed. New one tomorrow. I have an acre and a riding mower for the lawn. I got it all done today, so that I can enjoy the first nice day WNY will have the spring! If you look over to the right of that pic the top of his twin brother head is showing. One day those guys will take care of the lawn.