new to an old pool

vodka

Jan 13, 2011
south louisiana
hello everyone my name is jamie, my wife and i are new home owners and also our home came with a pool. the home was built in the late 60's and the pool was more then likely built in the 1980's so everything in the pool is outdated. So im looking at replastering, changing the pump and filter and probably having to change the pipes due to leakage somewhere. My main concern is trying to get to the pipes which are underground and i dont want to mess anything up. So this is our upcoming spring projects. I will be hiring someone to replaster so thats not a main concern and maybe get them to change the pump and filter and also let them change the pipes. I was also seriously thinking about going to salt but was confused when i read i needed to buy a chlorine generator. I read that the chlorine generator just turns the salt into chlorine is this true? is this an actual "saltwater" pool?

thanks for listening and welcoming
jamie and katie

There are various uses for the phrase "salt water pool" that mean different things. Most people talking about salt pools or salt water pool systems are talking about what we call a SWG (Salt Water chlorine Generator). This is a device that converts fairly low levels of salt (around 3,000 ppm) in the water into chlorine.

Other people talking about "salt water pool" mean a pool filled with ocean water, ie with a salt level around 35,000 ppm.

Welcome to TFP!

If your pool is really 35,000 gallons, having a SWCG would really be a nice thing. It would keep you from having to buy so much chlorine. I would certainly consider it in your situation.