SWG and Solar Heater Question

wjones9589

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2011
Port St. Lucie, Florida
I am currently in the process of having my pool resurfaced, and I am planning to install a SWG and solar panels in my backyard. I have seen some people having issues with their SWG destroying their heaters, I am wondering if this will happen to my solar panels if I use a SWG that I will install the same time as my solar panels.

I am currently in the process of having my pool resurfaced, and I am planning to install a SWG and solar panels in my backyard. I have seen some people having issues with their SWG destroying their heaters, I am wondering if this will happen to my solar panels if I use a SWG that I will install the same time as my solar panels.

Topics merged. Please don't ask the same question in more than one place. JasonLion

The issue with the heaters and salt was also with earlier copper heat exchangers.
Newer heaters have Culpro-nickel or Titanium heat exchangers and are much more resistant to salt and poor water chemistry than early models.

Solar panels don't use metal heat exchangers so there is no problem with Salt systems and Solar heating.

Enjoy your new pool upgrades :cheers:

Even a straight copper heat exchanger will not have problems with the salt levels used by most SWGs. Copper starts having problems well above 6000 ppm of salt, while most SWGs these days use levels around 3000.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.