Does anyone remove pump and store inside for winter closing?

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
New Jersey
Just wondered if anyone thinks I should remove the pump and take inside for the winter. Have heard it will prolong the life of the pump. My neighbors have an inground pool and theirs is 7 years left outside with no issues. I am in central NJ and the winters can be mild or harsh. Thanks for the input.

Ls

MikeInTN said:
I put my pump and filter in my attic over the winter. I don't know if it'll shorten the lifespan of the pump or not by leaving it out in freezing weather, but I figure why take the chance?

we have only owned this pool for 4 months, but according to the previous owner of the house, ONLY OWNER who put the pool in in 1986 has never taken the pump off and has never replaced teh pump or filter, its all from 1986 and runs great, its just old and i want them to fail so i can buy new ones. but i guess it depends on your location, the coldest it ever gets here is mid 30's for january and then it warms up to 50's.

If the pump is properly drained and protected from the elements, it should be fine. However, that being said, my pump IS brought inside but not into a heated place. We get so darn much snow sometimes (many feet) that it would be tough for some ice or snow NOT to get into the pump unless I wrapped it really tight or put a housing around it or something similar. I remove, wipe out the inside pot, etc, lube up all the connections with silicone lube - put the small parts inside the pot with the lid on, the rest in gallon ziplock bag taped to the side of the pump and store inside. Overkill? Maybe, good as new pump each spring? Absolutely.

NWMNMom, just about what I would have said (congrats on becoming a mod!! :cheers: :goodjob: :super: )

I would say that any equipment that can be easily brought in should be, but anything that can't won't suffer too much from the weather. :) If you bring things inside, don't have any chlorine stored near them, all chlorine will continuously gas off and corrode any metal around it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.