Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does anyone remove pump and store inside for winter closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does anyone remove pump and store inside for winter closing?

Just wondered if anyone thinks I should remove the pump and take inside for the winter. Have heard it will prolong the life of the pump. My neighbors have an inground pool and theirs is 7 years left outside with no issues. I am in central NJ and the winters can be mild or harsh. Thanks for the input.

Ls
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek

2. Back To Top    #2
    I put my pump and filter in my attic over the winter. I don't know if it'll shorten the lifespan of the pump or not by leaving it out in freezing weather, but I figure why take the chance?
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    I put my pump and filter in my attic over the winter. I don't know if it'll shorten the lifespan of the pump or not by leaving it out in freezing weather, but I figure why take the chance?
    we have only owned this pool for 4 months, but according to the previous owner of the house, ONLY OWNER who put the pool in in 1986 has never taken the pump off and has never replaced teh pump or filter, its all from 1986 and runs great, its just old and i want them to fail so i can buy new ones. but i guess it depends on your location, the coldest it ever gets here is mid 30's for january and then it warms up to 50's.

4. Back To Top    #4
    If the pump is properly drained and protected from the elements, it should be fine. However, that being said, my pump IS brought inside but not into a heated place. We get so darn much snow sometimes (many feet) that it would be tough for some ice or snow NOT to get into the pump unless I wrapped it really tight or put a housing around it or something similar. I remove, wipe out the inside pot, etc, lube up all the connections with silicone lube - put the small parts inside the pot with the lid on, the rest in gallon ziplock bag taped to the side of the pump and store inside. Overkill? Maybe, good as new pump each spring? Absolutely.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

NWMNMom, just about what I would have said (congrats on becoming a mod!! )

I would say that any equipment that can be easily brought in should be, but anything that can't won't suffer too much from the weather. If you bring things inside, don't have any chlorine stored near them, all chlorine will continuously gas off and corrode any metal around it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6
    I bring ours in to our garage.
    Just seemed a bit better than leaving it out all winter.
    But almost all pools I see in our area leave them out.

Mine will be coming in sometime this week probably I just started closing tonight have the pool covered and draining right now.
    18x33 15700 Gal Oval Above Ground
    Ranger Sand Filter w/Praher Multi Port Valve
    A.O. Smith 1.5 hp Pump
    Confer E9120 Steps
    BBB And Sparkling Clean.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    If you bring things inside, don't have any chlorine stored near them, all chlorine will continuously gas off and corrode any metal around it
    I guess that means I shouldn't store mine in the shed with my motorcycle huh?
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40