Ready to purchase inground pool which filter is best De/Sand

Mar 1, 2011
We are getting ready to sign contract for our inground pool. Before I sign the contract with all the specs. I am open for suggestions on regrets made by previous pool owners. What would you have done different? Or what is something you absolutely love about your pool. Also, our pool guy is suggesting a sand filter, but I have heard that a DE filter would be better. Our pool size is 14x26 rectangle with the deepest end being 6ft. We no absolutely nothing about inground pools so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Re: Ready to purchase inground pool which filter is best De/

The choice between sand, DE, and cartridge filters is really a personal choice. There isn't any clear favorite that works for everyone. They all work well, and they all have minor issues that can cause problems for some people. There is a good article in Pool School about this, see the Pool School button near the top right of every page.

Also, you will get much more helpful/specific feedback if you tell us a bit more about your situation: area of the country, price range generally high or low, anything you want to see in your design, etc.

momsandy, you may want to look at my thread here: frost-heave-thoughts-please-t28747.html

I think the most important thing is to nail down the costs if they overrun, i.e. if they tell you they're pouring 450 sq ft of deck in concrete, believe me when I say this, it will always be over 450 sq ft and then they'll have you when they say it's $9 sq ft to go over that amount. Put those details in the contract. Also modify the payment schedule so there is a substantial amount at the end ($5-10K) so they are motivated to complete your pool. Go through my website (outside link in that thread) for the pool construction to see what I went through. I created that both for my documentation and for people like you to learn the hard lessons I learned by not doing enough homework myself.

Insufficient Data.

You'd have as much luck getting consensus if you asked what kind of car to buy.

It depends on your situation. Are you surrounded by farmland with lots of dust? Is the yard full of trees? Will dogs be swimming in the pool?

I have a DE filter and it works fantastic. But if I were building from scratch or buying new equipment for any reason I would go cartridge and not look back. I think you will be happy no matter what type filter you buy because they all work. To me the cartridge filters seem to be the most modern, combining the best characteristics of the other two. JMO

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.