Security Camera

This is my first post, I'm a new pool owner, well almost our pool is about 75% complete. I'm looking for a wireless security camera system for our pool area. I would like to have the ability to view the area over the Internet. I would prefer a wireless system simply to avoid running wires to the cameras. Does anyone have experience with a camera system or any suggestions.
Thanks, Dana

Welcome to TFP.

Even most wireless cameras require a power wire. If you've got to run power you might as well run video cable to a DVR. There are a few truly wireless cameras but the battery life is terrible and you're constantly changing batteries.

I would opt for a decent DVR/camera combo that will transmit over the internet and/or smartphone.

I don't know much about cameras, but I have a friend who does it for a living.. He is getting ready to do my house, he told my you want black and white cameras versus color for the fact you can see much better at night.. The cameras with night vision don't really work at night objects are hard to make out.. I was going to have mine run threw a computer he told me know you won't believe the memory it would need to run.. We are know going to have them on there on DVR with Internet and smart phone connectiblity...Hopefully this will help some..

I have had a good experience using a SONY SNC RZ-50 camera over the pool. It has the web server built-in (no pc/hard drive failures/virus/blue screens to deal with) with motion sensing/unattended object alerts, wifi capabilities and is PTZ. It is viewable over internet by browser/phone.

It's a bit pricey but it's located in the roof eave over looking the pool two stories up. I didn't want to go with a cheapy since it had to take rain and sun/heat.

Haven't had to touch it for the last 3 years it's been up.

Thanks for the replies, I looked at the Logitech but from what I read its only available on a PC and we are all Mac. I like the Mobotix but their cameras are very expensive. It also seems that I'm fast running out of money on this pool build because we keep adding to the project, so a $1000 camera is out. Does anyone have any experience with the Defender system from Sam's Club.

The defender is an ok home owner quality system. You want to pick the system with the highest resolution cameras they offer. There's a better
system at Costco from Q-See. It's an 8 channel system with (4) 520 line cameras and a 1tb hard drive. Search for Q-see on their site. It's the QT528.

My house system is from http://www.gadspot.com/ . Good "homeowner" quality and very good pricing. Far better than any pre-packaged kit from a box store. get a power supply that will run all the cameras and pull the wires....you will be WAY happier in the long run. Avoid wireless anything at all cost, in my opinion and experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.