Intellichlor IC40 problems

Mar 2, 2011
I've had my IC40 for about 2 1/2 years. Started having problems about 1 month ago. Live in SW FL. Water temp is 75 today.

My chlorine reading was 0 yesterday. So I took some water down to Pinch A Penny to have it tested thinking I needed some stabilizer. However, all my numbers came back within limits but I had no chlorine. They read my salt as 4400. My pool remote reads it as 4600 and my salt test strips read it in the 4300 range. I know that is too much salt.

My IC40 Salt level is blinking green, Power in RED, Cell is flashing green & Flow is a constant green. I just today cleaned the cell as per Intellichlor instructions and powered on only to have the unit have the same lights come up.

The Pinch A Penny rep told me to drain 2 feet of water and refill to get the salt level down. Will this solve my problem? The only reason it has so much salt is because the IC40 was reading low salt a month ago and I put a bag and a half in. OPPPPS! Too much I guess.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ok, all these indicator lights mean things.

Salt light flashing green: This means the salt is too high. But you knew that already

Cell light flashing green: means inspect the cell

Power light red: Means that the IC-40 needs service.

I'd start by removing the cell and see if there is calcium build up on the blades. A salt reading of 4300, while a touch high, wont cause the IC-40 to stop making chlorine, however. Check to see if there is any scale on the cell before you do anything else. how long has it been since you cleaned the cell.

It would probably be better to plug your numbers into the pool calculator to determine the amount of water to drain. Ideal for my IC20 is 3400ppm. I try to keep it a little above that.

I would not take out 2 feet of water on Pinch-A-Penny's advice.

Pentair suggests keeping the salt between 3,200-3,400 ppm. When I still had mine, I ran it as high as 6,200 (don't ask :oops: ).

I'd lower it some, but I'd sure like to know what calculation Pinch a Penny used for lowering the water to get the proper level :cool:

I dont think the high salt is your issue. My understanding is that even at 4300 ppm, it will still generate chlorine. It's the red power light that indicates to me something else is wrong.

PoolguyNJ deal with Pentair a lot so he may have more insight when he sees this.

> had my IC40 for about 2 1/2 years.

1. do you have a 3 year warranty?
2. did you call pentair tech support (what did they say)?
3. did you ever open the ic40 cell unions and inspect the blades prior to this?

just curious on the last one, in case you had ever inspected the inside bits.

susa said:
> had my IC40 for about 2 1/2 years.

1. do you have a 3 year warranty?
2. did you call pentair tech support (what did they say)?
3. did you ever open the ic40 cell unions and inspect the blades prior to this?

just curious on the last one, in case you had ever inspected the inside bits.

1) Purchased the unit from a guy I know that is a Pentair Rep. He's coming out today or tomorrow to look at it.
2) He at Pentair told me to reduce the salt and call back. Said it could be a chemical imbalance but I told him the rest of the chemicals were in line.
3) Yes, I've openned the cell before for cleanings

>> Purchased the unit from a guy I know that is a Pentair Rep.

just in case you did not think about it, we have locally also an individual who previously worked at the IntelliChlor plant and he occasionally buys and installs systems and calling Pentair to register the installation works fine, they honor the warranty and note the date of installation.

>> I've openned the cell before for cleanings

still only curious on this point, did you find it difficult to open first time (ie. tightness of the fittings..) or difficult to seal for leaks initially ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
at times, I've listened to comments from people in the industry (Pentair) where installations done-one-the-side have caused issues with the warranty on components or installations. even if your installer was paid cash, as long as you documented the original installation, normally Pentair honors warranty. some installers discourage disclosure to register warranty but that does not diminish your ability to properly document the installation and reap benefits from factory.

UPDATE

My friend, the Pentair rep, came by the house and switched out the IC40 for a new model. He said he knew something was wrong when I told him the Power light showed red AND the cell light flashed green. That's not supposed to happen. Also said high salt in the pool should not effect the IC40 unit unless you get scaling on the unit. Mine was clean. It was a defective unit.

Thanks for all the help everyone. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.