Where is my "backwash to waste?"

Feb 14, 2011
Just discovered yet another problem *facepalm*

I want to backwash my DE filter, and the valve seems to be way to big to attach a hose to. We've gone to 2 different home improvement stores and can't find a set of adapters or pipes that will bring it down small enough (we keep buying some, just to come home and see that it's slightly too small or too big. Valve is glued in, so can't take it with us) so we're forced to backwash straight out, which just shoves the crud out towards the pool again, which is pointless.

I keep hearing people mention being able to "backwash to waste," but I can't figure out how to do that. As far as I can see, there's no pipe or setting for "waste." My filter has one lever on the bottom, with either "filter" or "backwash." And the only levers on the return and suction are "pool" and "spa."

Do you think the waste line is that thing capped off on the left of the pool return? Why would someone have capped it off? Can y'all look at this picture and tell me how (and if it's even possible) I might be able to backwash or vacuum to waste?

valves.jpg

variouspipes.jpg

I believe that the pipe stub with the red ball valve coming out of the filter near the pump is the waste outlet. You should be able to glue in a short section of what appears to be 1 1/2" pipe and then connect a hose adapter to that.

You have a simple valve, equivalent to a push/pull valve. The rotary multi-port valves have many more positions/features.

JasonLion said:
I believe that the pipe stub with the red ball valve coming out of the filter near the pump is the waste outlet. You should be able to glue in a short section of what appears to be 1 1/2" pipe and then connect a hose adapter to that.

You have a simple valve, equivalent to a push/pull valve. The rotary multi-port valves have many more positions/features.

Ah, ok, so if I want to "vacuum to waste" I would connect a hose to that, set filter to "backwash," and then run the pump? Or is that not possible?

If the inside of the valve is smooth you can get some pvc glue and a short length of pvc pipe (probably 1 1/2" diameter) and glue the pipe into the end of the valve as Jason said. You can then get a backwash hose and a pipe clamp and clamp the hose to the end of the pipe. Open the valve to backwash and direct the waste where you want it to go.

Does the filter have a backwash setting on it? Mine does not, but it is a different model/brand filter. I have to break mine down to clean it. Those that do have backwash settings on their DE filters find it does not clear all the DE off the grids. Since you are new to this filter and don't know what is in there, I would open it up after backwashing and make sure all the old DE is gone before recharging the filter.

You can't vacuum to waste. If you vacuum on the backwash setting you will fill the grids with debris, which you will never be able to completely clean out. You can vacuum on the normal filter setting and then backwash later.

JasonLion said:
You can't vacuum to waste. If you vacuum on the backwash setting you will fill the grids with debris, which you will never be able to completely clean out. You can vacuum on the normal filter setting and then backwash later.

OK, glad I asked! Thanks. :)

So it looks like I just have to find a hose long enough to run from my backyard down the the street, which is quite a ways. I'm not sure where I should be letting all the icky water and crud out without destroying my yard!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.