Problem raising CH

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
I have a pool where I need to raise CH to 300-350.

last week CH was at 240ppm. I added 5LBs CH to an 8,000 gal pool.

this week I tested and there was no increase. I'm thinking that the CH went into the pool finish as it needed it and this is why no increase of CH was found in the water.

Am I right in thinking this is what happened? maybe I need to add much more.

I don't think CH of 240 is that low. Have you ruled out testing error or perhaps does the customer have a leak that is being masked by an autofill device?

dmanb2b said:
I don't think CH of 240 is that low. Have you ruled out testing error or perhaps does the customer have a leak that is being masked by an autofill device?

actually to be honest I've been using 240ppm for a couple months so maybe as we have had a lot of rain and owner has had to backwash maybe CH dropped. I should have tested it before increasing I guess. I will need more CH but no one sells it on the island so have to fly it in. costs me $6.50 per lb landed on the island. expensive.

Doubt you use any as ice melt :mrgreen: But it may be worth a try inquiring about it's availability at a local masonry yard as it is sometimes used in concrete, or they may be able to import it for you easier than you could on your own. Other alternative would be to contact a wholesaler in the mainland US and see how much it would cost to ship/export a pallet of peladow (eg here http://www.cbwsupply.com/) if you will be using it much for the business :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Doubt you use any as ice melt :mrgreen: But it may be worth a try inquiring about it's availability at a local masonry yard as it is sometimes used in concrete, or they may be able to import it for you easier than you could on your own. Other alternative would be to contact a wholesaler in the mainland US and see how much it would cost to ship/export a pallet of peladow (eg here http://www.cbwsupply.com/) if you will be using it much for the business :goodjob:

Thanks for the link. I've contacted the main concrete co on the island but unfortunately they don't sell it. I'm assuming they use it though. It must be like gold over here and everyone keeps it for themselves. our fill water is hard usually 300ppm so don't need much but would be nice to have 100LBs on hand incase.

If plaster wants to stay in the 200-400 ppm range, and you are at 240, I'd leave it alone and be thankful! Here, we would love to have 240 water (and I'd be out of business!) as opposed to the stuff we get.

If you have 300 ppm coming from the tap, and you are at 240 now, it will rise all on its own as you continue to add water. It doesn't go away (the CH), but it does rise as new water is added, so I'd enjoy it now 'cuz the harder stuff is coming! I wouldn't raise it if it were me :cheers:

simicrintz said:
If plaster wants to stay in the 200-400 ppm range, and you are at 240, I'd leave it alone and be thankful! Here, we would love to have 240 water (and I'd be out of business!) as opposed to the stuff we get.

If you have 300 ppm coming from the tap, and you are at 240 now, it will rise all on its own as you continue to add water. It doesn't go away (the CH), but it does rise as new water is added, so I'd enjoy it now 'cuz the harder stuff is coming! I wouldn't raise it if it were me :cheers:

Those that are lower CH have water treatment. But city water usually is around 300.

Just looking to make it easier to balance. If 350 I could balance the water better while keeping the pH at 7.5-7.6

I could keep pH higher like 7.8 but the salt cells would get scale quicker.

I've been trying scrape some scale of the middle sensor/plug part(?) inside. I really want to cut an old cell out and see whats what. But this cell was one I did a mild acid wash on and 500 hrs later I checked and there was some scale around that sensor/plug area. So I've been really trying to keep pH 7.5-7.6 on a weekly basis. however I need to find some plastic tool to scrape. haven't found the right thing to fit in to scrape the little bit of scale off the sensor/plug thing.

plates usually look ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.