Pool Planning Mockup - Criticisms Welcome

Jun 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Pool Planning Mockup - Criticism Welcome

I am getting a new fiberglass pool. My pool will be relatively small (8" x 17" x 5" with approx 3900 gallons of water). The pool is really an exercise pool for my wife and I. We both like to swim regularly and are tired of fighting the crowds at the local gyms. We are installing a swim machine, but that's about the only equipment I have firmly picked out.

I am having trouble determining the size of the normal equipment as most pools are double or triple this size in gallons. My pool will have 2 drains, 1 skimmer, and 3 returns. The equipment pad is about 15 feet from the pool and I am using 2" rigid pipe.
Here is the list of equipment I am interested in having on my pool:
2 speed pump w/ controller
salt chlorinator
cartridge filter
natural gas heater
track based security cover (likely manual, but automatic is not ruled out yet)

I'd appreciate any suggestions on right sizing the equipment for this small pool. I've been reading a lot on these forums and know there are lots of opinions on brands, so I really just looking for sizes (pump, filter, heater, etc). Hayward seems to be really popular with all the pool builders in this area. Most builders I have talked to use their products.

I also worked up a mock up on how I plan to place the pool in my backyard along with some deck modifications and concrete pad. The pool will be partially out of group (less than 18"). It will have a wall about 18" thick to provide a place to sit around the pool. Between the house and the pool will be a bed of smooth small rock/large gravel. Possibly river rock.

Take a look at the picture and please feel free to critique. I am new at this and might be committing a serious blunder in my ignorance with this layout. Let me know if you have any suggestions or improvements.

poolPlans.jpg

Full size image here:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~karnfamily/poolPlans.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Pool Planning Mockup - Criticism Welcome

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

my own two cents worth and certainly not gospel would be that if you can afford the $ and the space, I would go a bit bigger especially if you want the pool for
length swimming. I think at 17ft you might reach the other end not long after starting the length!
I am building a 23 footer which is about as small as I would want to go for length swimming.
good luck with it.

Re: Pool Planning Mockup - Criticism Welcome

We are installing a swim machine on one end. Basically this pool is our swimming "treadmill" where we swim in place against a current.

I would like a full size lap lane, but don't have the space and can't afford the cost to heat that many gallons of water. Our hope is to be able to swim most of the year so heating 3900 gallons of water will be a lot cheaper.

Someone else was installing a set of swim jets in a full size pool, search the Under Construction threads.

I've never seen one in action, but they look cool. Cal Spa has a model of Swim Spa that you could use as a treadmill. It also had a seat and oars to act as a rowing machine:

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/cal-spas/ ... 15984.html

**There is a "Video" button just below the photo of the spa**

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.