How do I find out what this is?

MOM&POP DIY

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
All last summer, (and even throught the winter) I had a fine, tan colored, dust like, residue that would accumulate on the bottom of my pool and on the steps. It vaccums up, when you brush - it clouds the immediate area and is very difficult to sweep.

I poured enough clorox in my pool last year as recommended, to start a laundry (lol). It never affected this residue. It is not visible on the side walls - just the bottom.

That being said, I live in a very rural setting, with a field 100 yards away. Is this dust, algae, or pollen. All last spring I fought daily to clear the water - kept my levels way up (to the point I was afraid I was damaging the liner), washed the filter sand, changed filters, services the salt generater - only to finally realize it was not algae, but North Carolina Pine pollen. In April, the pine pollen in this area is so thick for 2-3 weeks, that cars, houses, every thing turns yellow.
SO..... this year, I'm going to cover the pool, diagnose this powder on the bottom, then purchase a solar blanket. Any recommendations on testing, treatmentment, and a solar blanket?

Are you testing your water? If you are not and just relying on using alot of clorine from time to time then you probably are getting algae in the pool. When algae dies it will sometimes creates what you descibe. But, without testing you are guessing at what you have and will likely not be able to control algae outbreaks. Let us know what exactly you are doing to maintain your pool chemistry and we can help you further.

From your description, I would agree with your suspicion of dust/pollen. You can try adding a little DE in the Sand filter (see Pool School for instructions), skimmer socks may help too... to improve the situation.

As for a solar blanket, midline-pricewise is probably the route to go, don't spend a fortune on one as they only last 2-3 seasons. did you have any specific questions about the blankets?

sorry long day in the sun. didn't notice you have a sand filter. or if you added DE to your sand filter as some recommend could might still be DE?

could be wind blowing dirt into the pool. look around your yard. is there any patches of dirt? if wind picks up it can end up in the pool. Had the same problem with one of my pools until owner grew the grass.

but why have a sand filter? better a DE filter or if you can get away with it a cartridge filter. sand filters work better in commercial pools and love high traffic water. I would never put a sand filter in a residential pool.

I would never put a sand filter in a residential pool.
Aquatica,

They are actually very, very popular here in the US and do a very good job. Here is a picture of my cleaner looking down through 7-feet of pool water filtered by a 6-year old sand filter that has had no maintenance whatsoever except for it's annual inspection and cleaning.[attachment=0:37eojj6m]clear pool water.JPG[/attachment:37eojj6m]

All filters (DE, sand, cart) have pros and cons, no doubt. However, all these types will do a very nice job if they are sized to the job and adequately maintained.

Attachments

• clear pool water.JPG
    clear pool water.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 190
I was told it was mustard algae. It's not??
Almost surely not. Mustard algae is wall-clinging and, to an extent, seems to thrive in late summer rather than this time of year.

However, just like the OP who has apparently not tested the pool water, it is all just guessing until you make the decision to take control of your pool by testing your water and understanding what to do with the test results.

I do have a test kit, T100, and I am shocking my pool at this very moment. I have held the shock level at mustard algae shock levels for 4 days and it appears to be gone. How does the test kit tell you what kind of algae you have? Or is there another kit needed for determining this? The local pool store is the one that said I have mustard algae.

Did the local pool store have someone actually go look at your pool? The reason I ask is that unless someone that knows, actually looks at the pool (and not just the water sample) they most likely won't be able to tell if you have Mustard Algae. They will usually tell you it's mustard because it's more money in they're pocket to treat Mustard than just plain ole green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok, thanks Bama. No they have not looked at my pool. They will be looking at it Thursday, as they are coming to show me how to use all the equipment and help me resolve an issue I have with a missing SWG cell. Of course the pool should be beautifully clear by then, thanks to this forum and all the great help I received.
@MomandPop, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but just so happens I had this same stuff. As of this afternoon, it's gone. Hopefully for good

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.