Pool surface questions

Feb 27, 2011
Hi,
I am researching options for a new pool build in Scottsdale, Az. I know the aggregates are the way to go for longevity. (especially in Pebble tec's backyard) But (ya knew this was coming) I hate the textured feel. I really want a smooth surface. I also don't love the artificial natural look. I have a pool, I don't think I can fool people into thinking there is a natural pond in my backyard :wink:
I'm not enamored with pebble sheen.

we have considered Beadcrete for the look, but I'm uncertain about the feel, and have heard that poor applications can result in broken glass beads which are hard to remedy. (are there other glass bead options?)

The quartz products seem to have problems with keeping true color. I'm not sure about the longevity. I thought I read were the initial claims of better wear with the added quartz isn't holding up due to the other polymer in the matrix being the rate liming factor.

Please give me any suggestion you have, and let me know if any (or all) of my understandings of these products are off base.

thanks

Sheen is smoother than fina..

There are polished plasters like Hydrazzo and Durazzo but they are basically plaster. They are smooth but don't last any longer than plain plaster, at least I haven't seen them last longer.

The quartz finishes do last somewhat longer than the regular plasters due to the increased quarts aggregate taking some of the exposure area away from the cement in the mix. Also pretty smooth.

I never trust anything glass near a pool, let alone in a pool.

I do trust just-a-pb.

Scott

If you want smooth and a natural look its hard to beat a traditional plaster finish. Although its taken a bad beat because it has been around since the beginning of pools, we have many pools that are over 20 years old with the original plaster finish. The average life in our area is easily 15 to 20 years for residential pools. We also have quite a few pools with diamond brite that are in the 12- 18 year range in very good shape. You can do a quartz finish without the acid wash and still have a smooth finish if your not anxious for the exposed aggregate look.

Sheen is the smoothest of the exposed aggregate finishes, but Fina is the smoothest of the three offerings from PebbleTec. Fina is more like a traditional plaster finish, but with quartz in place of the typical limestone in today's plaster.

Fina will buy you longer life over plaster, and will look most like plaster, but Sheen (in my opinion) will be the longest lasting. The smaller rocks fuse together tighter and provide a much stronger finished product.

The larger stones end to pack a little "looser" and leave more plaster exposure. The smaller stones pack tighter, leaving less plaster exposed. Plaster is the weak link in the product, so more rock equates to longer life.

Both are durable, but I believe (after 15 years in the industry) that the smaller stone (Sheen, in this case) will provide the most durable finish. I have it in my pool, and that is what I would put in again. Both have more texture than plaster, but they are rounded, smooth stones, and it is comfortable to walk on. Both will abrade you if you hit it hard enough, as I know all too well from experience!

salp said:
Fina has all the dust and chips from pebble products and is more like a plaster product but last longer.

Look here...

http://www.pebbletec.com/pebble_fina_swatch.aspx
I'm hearing different things about Pebblefina. I think it is equivalent to the quartz products but use stone as the pozzolans into the cement mixture. Any reason to think it would last any long than the other one, besides the reputation of the manufacturer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is very similar to some quartz products. The quantity of the quartz is what makes creates the longevity and durability, and more is better than less in this case. The strength of the company and the requirements of the applicator of P-Tec products also comes in to play.

Any quartz product will be stronger than today plaster (cement and limestone). How much stronger depends on the mix.

simicrintz said:
It is very similar to some quartz products. The quantity of the quartz is what makes creates the longevity and durability, and more is better than less in this case. The strength of the company and the requirements of the applicator of P-Tec products also comes in to play.

Any quartz product will be stronger than today plaster (cement and limestone). How much stronger depends on the mix.
so in your opinion is there a better product than fina?

Not in quartz. I still think Sheen is the most durable, but it doesn't sound like you are leaning towards exposed rock.

What's the delta between the quartz you're looking at and the Fina?

simicrintz said:
Not in quartz. I still think Sheen is the most durable, but it doesn't sound like you are leaning towards exposed rock.

What's the delta between the quartz you're looking at and the Fina?
I was not looking at a specific quartz product. I was just looking for the best smooth option out there. I'm willing to entertain any smooth surface that will last (and not cost a fortune like tile). pebblefina seems to have taken the lead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.