Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Depressing as it is, we are probably done swimming

1. Back To Top    #1

Depressing as it is, we are probably done swimming

We swam Sunday, and I put the solar cover on every night this week, but lows in the 40's and highs in the 70's have really cooled it off. When I put my arm in to test this morning, the water was cold. I'll probably pull the solar cover off the reel tomorrow to get it dry. Still a long way from closing temperature, but low air temps and cold water just don't do much for me.

I hope to get my solar installed in the spring before opening so I can stretch the season a little more next year. Two years ago we swam in October, but Saturday the high is going to be in the 60's.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

We're in the same boat. It's still a tad warmer here than where you are, but the water has cooled off so much that the kids won't even get in! I think we were spoiled with the overly warm water this summer.
    33' x 54" AG 29,000 gal, 1.5 HP Hayward Pump, Cartridge Filter, Pool Rover Robot, devoted follower of the BBB method!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Isnt it funny how just 3 or 4 weeks ago we had temps in the upper 90's across most of the USA and everyone was saying "I can wait for the cooler weather to get here". Now its here and we want it warmer so we can still swim longer .... I to am faced with the same situation as to whether to close or not. Wife checked water last night and it was 78 ... this weekend maybe the last for the season for us. I faithfully check the weather on the puter hoping and praying we will get one last hot spell in. But with my luck we will close the pool and it will get hot hot for another few weeks and we will miss the swim time ... (sigh)
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    I will be closing mine this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x33 15700 Gal Oval Above Ground
    Ranger Sand Filter w/Praher Multi Port Valve
    A.O. Smith 1.5 hp Pump
    Confer E9120 Steps
    BBB And Sparkling Clean.

5. Back To Top    #5
    sorry ot here that you guys are closeing, but im happy to say that even though i dont have a heater were still holding a stedy 84 in the pool even tough it gets down to 75 at night now. WITH NO COVER. kinda changes the laws of science here.

6. Back To Top    #6
    I get so sad this time of year , but we had a great summer here in PA 8) I will be closing the pool in the next week - I can hardly bear it
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7
    Please, you guys are going to make me cry!

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8
    i was thinking of getting one of these, has anybody tried them

http://rontimco.com/poolpg.htm

9. Back To Top    #9

dome

hmmm...just took a quick look at the site....seems really interesting. My question is what happens to your equipment if you have a long deep freeze. I get that you would keep running it as things get into the 30's and perhaps high 20's, but if it gets below that for a while, do you then close the pool and drain the pipes or rely on your pool water being heated to 85 degrees and keep it moving?
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

10. Back To Top    #10

Fall sure does sneak up on me now that I have moved to the Gulf Coast.

Today is the first day in a while it has been below 90 Deg. and I havent even given any thought to cold weather yet.

BUT the pool temp is down to 80. I hope to swim until mid October at least.

Sure wish I could afford a heat pump this year but our three kids need to eat. ALOT
    10,000 Gal. - Plaster – I.G. - Sand Filter – NOT USING MY Auto Puck Chlorinator.