Rheem Heat Pump problem

Sep 4, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
I came home today to find an oily film all over my pool and my spa. I then noticed my Rheem Heat Pump will not come on. I am now assuming something broke loose in there. Any of you had an experience lke this and if so what type of problem do you suspect I may have.
Appreciate any help,
Sincerely,
Joe

Oily film, eh? One thing comes to mind and thats the compressor potentially went south, so to speak. The compressor contains an oil to keep it lubricated. If thats what happened, the only fix is a new compressor I'm afraid. Of course i'm just guessing, but be prepared to have it replaced.

It sounds like the heat exchanger has ruptured internally :( . The hot refrigerant gas goes through the heat exchanger where it gives up it's heat to the pool water. If it broke, the refrigerant (and oil) would be released into the pool water. How long is your warranty?

guamguy said:
It sounds like the heat exchanger has ruptured internally :( . The hot refrigerant gas goes through the heat exchanger where it gives up it's heat to the pool water. If it broke, the refrigerant (and oil) would be released into the pool water. How long is your warranty?

x2

Call rheem at the number poolschoolgrad posted... the heat exchanger might have a lifetime warranty.

bk406 said:
I hope the OP updates with what is wrong here. Compressor or exchanger.

I will certainly let you guys know what happened. I have isolated the heat pump from the system and am now cleaning up the affected areas.
The plumber only put a bypass valve on the input side of the heater so I am hoping that the output has a check valve to ensure that I am isolated from the oil.
Do any of you guys know for certain that the output has a check valve or not?

Joe

Well I got in touch with Rheem and come to find out I have a 100% parts and labor warranty through Nov. 2011 and a 100% parts warranty through Nov. 2014.

They sent a technician out and he determined that the system was breached and was not repairable. They are in the process of getting a new unit that will be installed in about a week.

I'll post the ultimate outcome once we are installed.

Thanks for all the help,
Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.