Non Clorine Shock?

The only thing I can think of is that very high chlorine levels can sometimes cause minor damage to the cover. I shock the day before, instead of the moment before, so the chlorine level isn't as high when the cover goes on. But as long as you don't go wild with extra chlorine the moment before covering there probably wouldn't be a problem in any case.

Non-chloprine shock has some very minor disadvantages for outdoor pools. It tends to test as CC, which can confuse things quite a bit sometimes. And it causes problems for ORP sensors. And it costs more than chlorine. Plus it does add some things that you might eventually have problems with if you use it all the time for a very long time, but nothing so dramatic as CYA or CH.

Well, a non-chlorine shock shouldn't be costing you more than a chlorine shock. Calcium hypochlorite and sodium dichlor shocks are usually a little more expensive per pound than something like potassium monopersulfate. I suppose it just depends on where you shop, though. I'm not aware of any drawbacks either to using a non-chlorine shock on a regular basis. It's a healthy thing to do for your pool, weekly if possible. However, if there are some drawbacks, I'm now setting off to find out, because that's something that everyone should know, for sure. If you've got some specifics, please post, that'd be a huge help.

dudeguy37 wrote:
I'm not aware of any drawbacks either to using a non-chlorine shock on a regular basis. It's a healthy thing to do for your pool, weekly if possible
.Dude, welcome to the forum. You will not find much support for shocking weekly. Typically, we'll advocate shocking when conditions and/or testing calls for it but not on an arbitrary schedule.

I have no first hand knowledge of the price of MPS but it seems like I've seen posted on this forum that it is dramatically more expensive than chlorine. Someone else will chime in soon to confirm or dispell that, tho.

Non-chlorine shock is slightly less expensive that dichlor or cal-hypo from most sources, but bleach is less expensive than any of those and will do the same job just as well (or better).

The reason shocking weekly is often recommended elsewhere is that they assume you are not taking proper care of your pool. If you own a good test kit and spend a couple of minutes every day taking care of the water balance then there will hardly ever be any reason to shock and you will save substantial amounts of money compared to shocking weekly.

You're very right. A lot of the customers I help every day do not take the best care of their pool. L.A. and the surrounding areas (what I work with regularly) are full of people who work an average of 50-70 hour weeks, and spend all the other time taking kids to and from school/sports/etc. with fast food meals in between. They enjoy their pool and take time to put into it a total of maybe...5 min. a week if that. It takes me (and other employees) urging them to put more time and care into it, and to enjoy it! They learn to hate their pool because they don't take proper care, and don't take time to enjoy a nice swim either, so it only becomes a money consumption. So it was my mistake to make a generalization on a forum where most people probably take good care =)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dudeguy,

I hear you loud and clear. Every now and then, I get into a discussion with others who own pools but are the five minutes a week type. About 15 seconds into the first discussion of anything other than pH, they get that blank "please go away" look and I realize the conversation is pointless from there on.

The folks here (that stick around for any length of time) are a different breed. They are really interested in the "why's" of pool care. In addition, there are some really good chemists on here that are searching for answers that are not even discussed in the pool industry.

All in all, it's a terrific site to discuss particular issues with particular pools and pick up a ton of great knowledge along the way. We hope you'll stick around with us.

Dudeguy, I hear ya man!!! Most of my customers won't even take 1 min once a summer to do a dip strip test :x I'm glad to see someone here that can understand my frustration!! :rant: Thousands of $$s on repair/ replacement doesn't seem to sink in :hammer: We may need to find a little corner of this site to tell each other "the things stupid pool owners do" :lol: ,we could set up a 'stupidest pool owner competition', for the ones who just don't get the fact that the pool needs (at least!!) weekly care/ attention.

I know that the less they do means more work for us, but I'd rather work a 50 hr week and have them have a good pool owning experience :shock: :shock:

Good to 'know' you dude! -- Ted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.