Good morning from Ontario Canada

Jeanni

Feb 26, 2011
Hi, my name is Jeanni.

My husband and I bought an arts and craft home with an inground pool. The house although requires updating, is an amazing home with character and charm. The home was repossesed and the previous owners did nothing to preserve the pool before they left. The management company several hours away also did nothing to secure the pool's integrity.
Ok so now here is the problem, this fall when we were emptying the pool of its green thick once water, the liner started pulling away from the walls, the coping seems fine but the cement decking is heaving in several areas. Now we have gaping holes in the sides of the liner, the walls seems fine and the metal siding is in good shape. The pool itself is about 25 years old.
The one thing we do not like about the pool is the depth, it is three feet in shallow end then drops to eight, far to deep, we understand we need the pool liner replaced and other work done but we also want the pool filled in to a depth of 5.5 feet. We would like some advice about filling it in and other concerns or questions we should be asking the contractor. We have spoke to three local pool companies that have given their advice as well as a quote and the cost difference is substantial. I know they say do not take the cheapest but is the guy who is three times more the right choice? Please may I ask the members for feed back, how would we know if the lines/pump are still good (one contractor said yes the other said well we won't know until we fill pool, then if not we tear up concrete to fix) seems backwards to me? can we buy our own fill and tamp it ourselves, the pool guys contract this step out anyways? Thanks for your consideration and for the tips and stories you are currently sharing.

Cheers
Jeanni

Welcome to TFP!

Making the deep end shallower is simple enough as long as your are replacing the liner anyway, though fill dirt can be mildly expensive in some areas. It will be simple if there is good access to the pool, more expensive if you can't get heavy equipment right up to the pool. You can partially fill it in yourself, but it needs to be very well compacted. You also need to leave room for the pool people to put thin a final layer on top of whatever you do so the surface is just right.

The most important thing to find out about builders is what previous customers think of them. Get references and check them.

It is possible to test the plumbing with the pool empty. They will need to seal all of the skimmers and returns and then do a pressure test.