Mineral Springs

I am contemplating changing to the mineral springs system this year. One place tells not to use regular salt as it can damage filter, metal, liner, etc. Another place says it's ok. If I change, do I add the same amount of Beginings every year or just the first year. And the renew as needed? My pool is an inground, 24x44. Vinyl liner, approx. 40,000 gallons of water. Depth is 3.5 feet to 8 feet.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP.
The best advice I can give you is to read Pool School and stay away from the mineral springs. There are better alternatives out there.
Once you've read a good bit come back and we'll guide you along.

Welcome to TFP!!

Mineral Springs is the exact same as Hayward's (actually Goldline's) systems and can be run without the HIGH expense of Bioguard's 'all in one pack' chemicals. Like Bama said, Pool School will help you and we're always here to clarify things or bounce questions off of.

Thanks for the information. I will check out the pool school. Then I should probably stay away from the Bioguard salt water system and go for the Hayward Aqua Rite system. They have an optional sense and dispense system for adjusting the PH but from what I read, I should probably skip that piece of equipment.

VinGovoni said:
Thanks for the information. I will check out the pool school. Then I should probably stay away from the Bioguard salt water system and go for the Hayward Aqua Rite system. They have an optional sense and dispense system for adjusting the PH but from what I read, I should probably skip that piece of equipment.

Don't get me wrong, they are the EXACT same system! You just do NOT need to use the expen$ive Bioguard products to have it perform correctly. (they're both manufactured by Goldline and the only difference is the label) If the Mineral Springs unit is less expensive than the Hayward, get it! - just don't use their 'packs' to dose the pool.

One of the best things about this site is that we will tell you how to maintain a pool for less money than a pool store would, using less expensive, but chemically equivalent, products. :goodjob:

However, you will need to educate yourself ( with Pool School and asking questions here) and get and use a good test kit (the link for TF Kits is in my sig) Compared to the money you would waste on the Mineral Springs packs, the cost of a good test kit and the expenditure of time is a GREAT deal :-D

As always, it's your pool and your money - we're here to save you not only money and time, but to empower you to have a Trouble Free Pool :angel: :cheers:

Ditto what has been said here - Mineral Springs is just a more expensive version of basic and readily available pool chemicals - packaged and marketed in a way to make you think its somehow better.... it's just more expensive :)

I have a Mineral Springs unit - haven't used Bioguard products since I ran out of the renewal that the pool builder left... just treat it like any other swg, because that is what it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.