Remove concrete deck around IG Pool?

May 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I have an older IG pool that has a concrete deck going all the way around it right up to the coping. Between the coping and the deck is the mastic (I think that's what it's called). The deck and mastic are in pretty poor shape, with the deck cracking in several places. I'd like to remove the deck right up to the coping around about 50% of the pool (left back side) so we can add some greenery to the back yard. Perhaps with some sort of stepping stones going around the perimeter where the deck is removed. The concrete itself is approximately 3" thick from what I can tell, and I don't believe it has any rebar in it. It also has several white expansion joint looking things that extend perpendicular from the coping. One of which (farthest right in photo) I was planning on removing the concrete right up to, hopefully not requiring a cut there.

My main question: Is the concrete deck in any way structural to the pool itself? Can I have it safely removed w/out compromising the pool?

I'd also be interested in hearing about any personal experience with removing concrete decks, and about having grass/greenery right up to the coping. Including suggestions on landscaping/design.

photo.JPG

This image shows roughly what I'd like to do, excluding detail on possible stepping stones, bushes, shrubs, etc.. In actuality the coping is somewhat narrower than what is depicted in my drawing.

house.PNG

You can safely remove the concrete and it will most likey break clean at the plastic control joint. Stepping stones with something hearty like mondo grass works well in that environment. If the pool has a lot of activity and especially if its salt the first few inches near the pool coping doesn't seem to grow as well.

I think its fundamentally a very sound and attractive concept.

When they poured my aggregate deck on my new pool the company did a horrible job. There were large sections missing chunks of aggregate, etc.

The PB eventually jack-hammered the entire deck up and replaced it. They damaged some coping and parts of the siding on the house and had to re-do all the deck drainage pipes. All minor issues. It should be fine.

Interesting timing for your question as I am about to ask a very similar one. I'll start my own thread, but I will be watching this one as well to see how you progress with your project. Do you plan to DIY or hire it out? Please post pics if you decide to go ahead with it and let us know of any problems you encounter along the way... :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping the deck could be removed as it's in poor shape and I'm tired of my back yard being a concrete jungle with a pool in the middle. It'll be nice to get some grass and stuff back there for the dogs and baby.

I plan on hiring out most of the work, especially removing the concrete as I'm sure that is serious back breaking work. I'll try to remember to check back in here as I progress, but it'll probably be a couple weeks before we get started.

Thanks.

I actually pulled up all the concrete decking from around our pool last year with the help of a friend and a four wheeler with a trailer.
We filled five of those big metal garbage bins. It took a day and a half. We were exhausted, but it was done.

I wanted to just sod right up to the pool but local laws call for 48" of non slip surface around the pool area.

Good luck.

Okay, project underway. Thought I'd post a few pics to keep the interested up to date. We didn't have any real surprises yet, except for the concrete being as much as 6" thick in some places. We were only expecting 3-4". We also didn't consider that we'd need 6 cubic ft. of soil to bring it back up to grade after the concrete was removed.

The guys I hired are working out really well. Took them 2 days to bust up ~700 sq. ft. of concrete and haul it away. No heavy equipment, just jackhammer and wheelbarrows. He also doesn't try to nickel and dime me for every little thing I ask for and essentially throws some stuff in for free along the way.

At this point all the irrigation has been laid, the 12 x 18" flagstone (connecticut bluestone full color range) stepping stones have been positioned around the perimeter, and the semi-circle patio at the rear is about to get matching free form flagstone with gray decomposed granite between the stones.

Original estimate was $3,500 which includes removing/hauling away ~725 sq. ft. of 4-6" thick concrete ($2/ft), installing irrigation and ~600 sq. ft. of sod ($3/ft) and installing the flagstone path on the perimeter and some miscellaneous fence repairs and removal. We didn't account for the bendy-board and flagstone patio in the original estimate, so that and some additional miscellaneous tree trimmings, more fence repairs and what nots will probably push the total cost close to $4,500. Then the wife and I will probably get some additional plants, pots, drip irrigation and decorations to add color and spruce it up.

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

Okay, project underway. Thought I'd post a few pics to keep the interested up to date. We didn't have any real surprises yet, except for the concrete being as much as 6" thick in some places. We were only expecting 3-4". We also didn't consider that we'd need 6 cubic ft. of soil to bring it back up to grade after the concrete was removed.

The guys I hired are working out really well. Took them 2 days to bust up ~700 sq. ft. of concrete and haul it away. No heavy equipment, just jackhammer and wheelbarrows. He also doesn't try to nickel and dime me for every little thing I ask for and essentially throws some stuff in for free along the way.

At this point all the irrigation has been laid, the 12 x 18" flagstone (connecticut bluestone full color range) stepping stones have been positioned around the perimeter, and the semi-circle patio at the rear is about to get matching free form flagstone with gray decomposed granite between the stones.

Original estimate was $3,500 which includes removing/hauling away ~725 sq. ft. of 4-6" thick concrete ($2/ft), installing irrigation and ~600 sq. ft. of sod ($3/ft) and installing the flagstone path on the perimeter and some miscellaneous fence repairs and removal. We didn't account for the bendy-board and flagstone patio in the original estimate, so that and some additional miscellaneous tree trimmings, more fence repairs and what nots will probably push the total cost close to $4,500. Then the wife and I will probably get some additional plants, pots, drip irrigation and decorations to add color and spruce it up.

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG
Just seeing your post .. it’s 2021 now. In same boat as you . Old concrete busting up. Put stamped topping on top several yrs ago but it’s coming up now . So what does your pool look like now .. any pics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.