Hockey Season is upon us

Marillion Fan

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2007
About a 1/2 hour from P.S.U.
Are there any other puck nuts on the forum?

Being from Central PA You could go either way with The Pens Or the Cryers, oops sorry, Flyers But you may have guessed I like the Pens.

The team is looking good this year, well on paper anyway, to push for the play offs again.

I don't know if they are cup worthy yet but getting past 1st round shouldn't be too hard.

Hey we got to have something to talk about in the winter.

Around here, hockey is most commonly mentioned in the expression "horse hockey". Never seen a game in my life. I was in a bar in Boston many years back when the Bruins were playing a playoff game, but we were seated where you couldn't see the game. From all the screaming going on in the bar, we figure the score must have been 35-15 or so, and as we were leaving I saw the screen showing the score was 0-0. Just not popular here.

JohnT said:
Around here, hockey is most commonly mentioned in the expression "horse hockey". Never seen a game in my life. I was in a bar in Boston many years back when the Bruins were playing a playoff game, but we were seated where you couldn't see the game. From all the screaming going on in the bar, we figure the score must have been 35-15 or so, and as we were leaving I saw the screen showing the score was 0-0. Just not popular here.

I can understand that.
Indiana would be more Colts or Pacers I would suspect.
I haven't watched foolsball in over 3 years, just starting to look like 2 hand touch if you ask me.
Too many *silly* rules that have taken away the physical aspects of the game.

But in hockey you get to see guys slamming into each other whacking away with the sticks and they show the fights on tv :lol:

I see you are close to State College. Spent a couple of weeks working there in the early 90's. That airport was an experience.

Hi Marillion Fan
I never did care much for hocky on tv then I went to see a live game. It is a much different game live. I guess you could see things the tv didnt show. The fans are something else they boo the refs as soon as they took the ice, never saw that before. I love to go to a live game and some college games are great. I think it is a game that you have to be there to see it all.

ric said:
Hi Marillion Fan
I never did care much for hocky on tv then I went to see a live game. It is a much different game live. I guess you could see things the tv didnt show. The fans are something else they boo the refs as soon as they took the ice, never saw that before. I love to go to a live game and some college games are great. I think it is a game that you have to be there to see it all.

Probably very true. I never thought much of soccer until I saw it live.

ric said:
Hi Marillion Fan

I love to watch hockey but have never been to a game, finances are just too tight to buy the tickets gas for the 2 hour drive to Pittsburgh, parking, food etc.

I'm kind of hoping to make it too see one before they tear down the Mellon arena, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Ohio..........Blue Jacket fan?

Marillion Fan said:
JohnT said:
I see you are close to State College. Spent a couple of weeks working there in the early 90's. That airport was an experience.

I have heard that they want to renovate it but don't know the details.
I don't go down that way much. occasionally to go to Quaker Steak & Lube for wings or a music shop for my son and his guitars.

I had the best Ruben Sandwich I've ever had at a little place in Boalsburg in an old blacksmith shop. Went back 3 days in a row to have more!

Thrasher fan here !! I love going to live games because you get to see stuff the tv cameras cant catch. We went last year and sat right behind the Tharsher bench. There was just the glass between us and the players. Who remembers the year the bruins were in the playoffs and fans were harrassing them behind the bench and Derek Sanderson, Don Awrey,Bobby Schmautz(sp) and others went over the glass and into the stands and started fights with the fans. The best memory I have of hockey is when the Russians were here in 76 I think playing NHL teams and they were playing the Flyers and the Flyers had on their Broad Street Bully attitude that night and the Russians went to the dressing room because they were playing to rough. I think Fred Shero(sp) was the coach at the time. Coaches .... there sure has been some good ones over the years!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TizMe said:
Thrasher fan here !! I love going to live games because you get to see stuff the tv cameras cant catch. We went last year and sat right behind the Tharsher bench. There was just the glass between us and the players. Who remembers the year the bruins were in the playoffs and fans were harrassing them behind the bench and Derek Sanderson, Don Awrey,Bobby Schmautz(sp) and others went over the glass and into the stands and started fights with the fans. The best memory I have of hockey is when the Russians were here in 76 I think playing NHL teams and they were playing the Flyers and the Flyers had on their Broad Street Bully attitude that night and the Russians went to the dressing room because they were playing to rough. I think Fred Shero(sp) was the coach at the time. Coaches .... there sure has been some good ones over the years!!!

Ooooo Thrashers & Pens don't like each other making a decent rivalry to watch.

The Russian team sure was embarrassed that night.

Some great coaches thats for sure, Scotty Bowman comes to mind seems like every team he was coaching took the cup home.

Marillion Fan bet PSU has a team that wouldnt be so costly and would be close. Also keep in mind the pro farm teams. These farm teams are great. The players are young and are trying to make a name. College and farm teams are run on high standards like the prows. You have to see one live. same would go for baseball

ric said:
Marillion Fan bet PSU has a team that wouldnt be so costly and would be close. Also keep in mind the pro farm teams. These farm teams are great. The players are young and are trying to make a name. College and farm teams are run on high standards like the prows. You have to see one live. same would go for baseball

I have heard PSU has a pretty good team also might have to think about that one also could go see the Chiefs in Johnstown they play in the ECHL.

As for baseball I have been watching my son play all summer 1st high school then Federation its a shame what some of the (so called) pros are doing to the sport.
I don't watch too much pro baseball that sport needs a salary cap if any sport needs one.

I am a newbie to hockey and admit I have never watched more than a few minutes of a game on TV, I have never been into team sports...especially on TV.

We have the new Coyotes arena in Glendale, AZ (now Jobing.com arena) about 20 min from my house and I am interested in going to a game...two questions for all you experts/fans out there:

1) what would be a good match up to watch?
2) what is the best location to see the action?

Thanks a million from a prospective hockey fan!

Well, we personally like to sit up high along the side of the arena that way you can see things better and see plays developing. As far as going to a game it depends if you have a favorite player or team. Getting to see ANY hockey game in some arenas is almost impossible since they are sold out all the time so IF you get a chance to go to any game I would just go and enjoy it. We have found in the past that if you go to a pre season game your more likely to get in because the games really mean nothing in the standings.

From_Arizona said:
I am a newbie to hockey and admit I have never watched more than a few minutes of a game on TV, I have never been into team sports...especially on TV.

We have the new Coyotes arena in Glendale, AZ (now Jobing.com arena) about 20 min from my house and I am interested in going to a game...two questions for all you experts/fans out there:

1) what would be a good match up to watch?
2) what is the best location to see the action?

Thanks a million from a prospective hockey fan!

I would look into seeing The Ducks, The Sharks or The Red Wings just for the talent on those teams alone.
I haven't heard any reports as to how good the Yotes are suppose to be this year but hopefully they can get a few wins for ya.

As for going to see a game I have never gone to one but I would think you would want to try for half way up from the ice or even maybe high just so you can see the whole rink.
Down at ice level I would think you might not get to see all the action.

Season ticket holder here for the Nashville Predators. The DW and I got hooked on hockey a couple years back, but this is the first year we've had ST's.

For someone new to hockey, I'd suggest getting as close to the rink as you can so you can see the speed of the game, the hits, and of course, the fights.. :twisted: Once you get a feel for the game and for the rules of the game, you can move up higher so you can watch the plays develop. Go have fun the first couple of times and learn the game..then you can become a puckhead and start complaining about how trapping has ruined the game.. :)

MikeInTN said:
Season ticket holder here for the Nashville Predators. The DW and I got hooked on hockey a couple years back, but this is the first year we've had ST's.

For someone new to hockey, I'd suggest getting as close to the rink as you can so you can see the speed of the game, the hits, and of course, the fights.. :twisted: Once you get a feel for the game and for the rules of the game, you can move up higher so you can watch the plays develop. Go have fun the first couple of times and learn the game..then you can become a puckhead and start complaining about how trapping has ruined the game.. :)

Whats the word on the Preds are they staying in Nashville?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.